Clutch Problem- Please help!

GoldenMotor.com
Sep 13, 2008
Hello everyone!

I am working on my first motorized bike project. WOW! it is fun, but a lot more complicated than I thought.

(To the admins: I have tried to find this answer in a previous thread in the forum, I had no luck)

Here is where I am:

I purchased a 2 stroke motor kit (prolly Chinese) and tried to put it on my bike....... no dice- the frame was the wrong size..... so i purchased a new one for this purpose.

The motor is on the bike, the whole kit is on the bike and assembled.

I thought i had a clutch problem, but it was a problem with the instructions (the instructions said that i should be able to freely spin the motor sprocket with my fingers! HA!!).

But I did fool around with the clutch mechanisms inside the right cover before I knew any better.

I thought i put it back together properly, but now I can ride the bike using my pedals, but the clutch will not engage and move to engine power, no matter what position the clutch arm is in.

Without being able to engage the clutch, I can't start the motor.

Any help would be awesome (i can also supply measurements and a more detailed explanation if needed)

Thanks in advance!

--Ryan

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Go to "classic posts" and look up the "Norman" Penned "Clutch adjustment" thread. You should get it going from that.

Sep 13, 2008
I tried, but I didnt see anything there that would help me.

The clutch isnt just loose, it will not engage at all.

what steps can i take to engage the clutch? and i dont mean dinner with her parents (lol)
Is there a way to force the clutch into engine mode for testing purposes?

Ill check out Normans post again and see if I can figure something out (Norman put up a really cool post here "http://motorbicycling.com/f4/bicycle-engine-clutch-222.html")

But what I want to know is if there is a way to troubleshoot the clutch so that i can find out what settings will make the engine function.

Thanks bikeguy joe for the quick response.

Sep 13, 2008
Maybe someone has a few pics of what the clutch assembly (right side and/or left side) looks like both when the clutch is engaged, and when it is in neutral.

this would help a ton!

cdoug50

Jun 25, 2008
Maine
Remove the cable from the clutch release arm. If it is going to engage, it will with the cable removed. After removing the cable, try pushing the bike, the motor should turn over. If that does not happen, then I would suggest you go back to Norms post and read over it carefully. He gives a full explanation with hand drawn pictures on how it all works.

Sep 13, 2008
yeah, the clutch was way too loose. The clutch would not engage at all. I tried Norman's post a few times and nothing. then one time i was doing the exact same thing, and it worked! i am not exactly sure how or why but it works now! all of it!! whoooo hoooo!!!!!