Engine fire, bad burns.

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Hey guys.
This has been a ton of fun!!!
But I'm out.
My family had a bunch of fun building and maintaining these bikes, but this weekend I had a very bad mishap.

I started by replacing the fender hanger for the rear fender. tightened the rear bearing cone nut. Adjusted the chain, and got ready to go.

I have never had a problem starting the engine, Just get on, peddle, pop and go. easy. But this time the engine would not even turn over. I'd pull the clutch, peddle and release, the engine would bump once, the skid the back tire for about 4 feet. Flooded. So I pulled the spark plug and removed it from the wire. Now the engine would turn over. I got on the bike to turn it over a few time to clear it out.

WOOOOFFF!!!! The fuel ignited right in between my legs!!!
Looking down in disbelief at the fire in between my legs, and right under the fuel tank, I ditched the bike in the middle of the street and jumped off. and started to pat the my pants were fire was burning me. It would not go out. I knew that fuel had saturated my pants, and they had to go. I striped them off in record time, and ran to get a hose. Yep, but naked in the street putting out 5 foot flames!!

After the flames were out, the bike is chard, burnt, and ruined. I went to the ER to have them patch me up. Today, I went to the burn clinic, and to my surprise, the burns were on the high side of second degree, almost third degree, and received the first of two skin grafts.

I was looking at the bike, wondering how much it would cost to rebuild. But my kids will not even think of ridding the OCC chopper, and then the words skin graft keeps popping in my head. Nope!! The bikes have now got to go.

Had a ton of fun, but we are done. I am glad I got to enjoy and share this hobby for a while, I will remember it for the rest of my life.

Anyone interested in an OCC chopper with a chrome engine kit??? Runs great, no damage at all.

Mr.Gadget

I

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
WOW!!! :eek:
I'm really glad you weren't even more seriously hurt!
I think this is a valuable safety lesson that everyone can learn from!!

*edit* You did the smart thing in removing the spark plug from the wire, but somehow the spark still jumped the distance from the boot to the engine case.
I'll be unplugging (& covering) the CDI wire any time I do something like that from now on!!!

Last edited:

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Did you catch it on camera ...might of won money.

All kidding aside, glad that that you were able to shed the clothes and keep the damage somewhat to a minimum (crotch burn if you call that minimum). I learn very well from others mishaps, you can bet that I won't do the same mistake. Although that shouldn't keep you off a MB, I can understand your feelings, both about the burn (have been burned by gas as a teenager), and the MB. Heal well and take care.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Sounds like a stuck float flooded the motor. Not being able to turn the motor over suddenly is the first clue, especially after sitting overnight. Pulling the plug and clearing the cylinder of fuel is the usual way to deal with a flooded cylinder. I'm just suprized that it sparked enough to light the vapors. These dang things barely work as they are supposed to.

Conditions had to be just right for this to happen. Hope you heal fast and reconsider leaving the MB scene.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
It might help to carry a water bottle, if only for this reason-

back in the '80s I had a little Fiat 850 spider convertible I reconditioned-
I had stopped at the Arco next to Universal City on Ventura Boulevard and went inside for a drink- a great big jumbo coke for a dollar I think.

I came outside and noticed the paint was blistering on the top of the back hood where the motor was- I opened it up to see a six inch flame shooting up from the carb-

No problem! poured the big Coke on it- and poof!- it was out- magic!

The car even started later after having a jumbo coke in the carb.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Thanks guys for the words of encouragement, and even now I am torn about jumping out of the motor bike world. I really did enjoy this labor of love. And, yes the conditions had to be perfect for this to happen. It is kind of a freak accident. A painful and scary freak accident.

Any ways, here are some pictures. Oh ya, There is no burning any high than this. So no crotch burns. The boys are fine... LOL...

Attachments

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am sorry to hear about this and awestruck at the same time! I am glad that things are not worse for you (the family jewels), and disturbed that you received the injuries you got.

It was certainly a freak accident. Things had to be perfect for this to happen. I thank you too for the lesson! I will unplug my CDI before ever attempting a similar operation!

Also, I hope that you will reconsider exiting the MB hobby. Perhaps another style of power and stay away from the China Girls?
Rack mount friction or chain drive?
In frame 4-stroke with EZM or Grubee 4G?
DAX axle mount?
GEBE system?
There are many ways to do it and not have an engine and fuel tank between your legs.

Whatever your final decision, I hope you have a speedy and pain free recovery!

Last edited:

Ruby478

Apr 2, 2011
Dallas,Tx
had a burn just like that on my left leg from when i fell riding and the motor fell right on my leg and burned it, never got a skin graft or went to the hospital ............ by the way im hispanic so i just slapped alcohol and aloe vera on it wrapped it up with some gauze from my aid kit and duct tape then walk the bike home 3 miles cause the rear mount was broken couldn't ride bike ................ so yeah man i can sympathize with yah

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Glad to know you will be ok :) Aloe Vera for the burns. Left the gas on, those petcocks are junk anyway and leak. Motor filled with fuel. A very painful mistake, but a mistake. A 6.00 fire bottle could have stopped the fire. One in every car you own. I have one on every bike I own! Wal-Mart sells them. I have screamed to car makers for years to put a fire bottle in everything they make. They won't or don't listen! Every Boat, Aircraft, 18 wheeler comes with one! I hope you change your mind, but if not I understand. (c)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
News flash, Nekid man arrested for having illegal weenie roast in middle of intersection.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Sorry about that. Hope you heal fast. I almost had a weenie roast myself. One day I was riding along and looked down and saw my gas tank had rotated around on my bikes crossbar. The gas line came unhooked and was pouring gas out on my bicycle crank.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I guess the first thing to do if a fire starts- and you're not terribly on fire yourself-

would be to close down the petcock fuel valve- with no internal oil- (and two cycles tend to stay clean outside for that reason) the fire may not burn itself long enough to ignite the gas tank- UNLESS the line melts and more gas drips from the tank-

a good thick rubber fuel line would probably resist melting and letting more fuel to the fire much better than the plastic vitta shipped with the kits- I've replaced part of mine with stuff I had around- but now think I'll pick up some good thick rubber line at the auto parts store-- should still be able to see the fuel through the filter

When my motor floods, the first thing I do is cut off the fuel valve- its too bad you didn't do that, and like they're saying- the spark of the unhooked wire must have lit it all up. I like carbs that have a shut-off valve on that side too.

Sorry about your accident and best wishes for a speedy recovery

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
BikNut, Your comment was funny. It gave me a good laugh which I need right now.

I just woke up from a pain relieving percocet induced nap. I had a great dream. Who here can guess what it was about.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
Nashville kat, Did you actually intend to sound that condescending?

The petcock was closed by me. Now did that stop all the fuel from flowing? Most likely not. Agreed, the fuel line should be swapped out with all these kits.

If you look at the picture, the fuel valve is closed. It got so hot that the lever melted and is now bent/twisted.