Jackshafts

GoldenMotor.com

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
curious how alot of people are mounting jackshafts to their OCC choppers.

i just got a pocket bike motor and i know i'll need to convert the chain from the #25 to a #40 chain.

thinking of using a jackshaft to go from the 7t gear to a 20t #25 gear, then from something like a 10t #40 gear to a 44t gear.

thinking of using a jackshaft so that i can get the chain lined up correctly.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
You don't have to conver it to #40, you can actually convert it to almost whatever you want - including belt.

What's most important, IMHO, is figuring out all the ratios, engine RPM to wheel rpm, and then incorporating pedal RPM into the overall power to wheel.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
You don't have to conver it to #40, you can actually convert it to almost whatever you want - including belt.

What's most important, IMHO, is figuring out all the ratios, engine RPM to wheel rpm, and then incorporating pedal RPM into the overall power to wheel.
well the problem comes into what parts are available, especially when dealing with a 20" wheel.

i been searching up and down for a way to change the sprocket on the motor without having to track down a gear box that won't crap out on me, or isn't $100+

i would like to figure out how to convert it to belt 100%, that part just gets me hung up on the rear wheel on how to mount a pulley back there, (not too fond of a sheave)

mainly need the jackshaft just for minor gear reduction, and for better alignment on the rear end.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I took a Titan rear mount kit and cut it to fit the OCC. I have a back rest now. It works great. Took a couple or rides to get the chain right. It does 25 easy (c)

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I will as soon as the bike is back together. I took the bike apart to paint the frame. Had some rust and chipped paint on it. I didn't like the red & Black paint it came with.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I will as soon as the bike is back together. I took the bike apart to paint the frame. Had some rust and chipped paint on it. I didn't like the red & Black paint it came with.
ok cool.

been wracking my brain for awhile now on how to put a j-shaft together.
now the only part i'm struggling is finding a place that'll sell sheet metal in small sizes.

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
I'm using an engine similar to a pocket bike engine and I'm currently gathering parts to build a jack shaft. My boyfriend suggested building something like mowers use, I thought this was a good idea and so did my dad (who is helping me with my build.) So what we're doing is pressing roller bearings into an aluminum pipe that will be mounted on the engine plate. The shaft will have the metric sprocket (that matches the sprocket on my gear reduction drive) on the engine side and a #41 sprocket on the drive side. Hope that helps give you some ideas. :)

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
I'm using an engine similar to a pocket bike engine and I'm currently gathering parts to build a jack shaft. My boyfriend suggested building something like mowers use, I thought this was a good idea and so did my dad (who is helping me with my build.) So what we're doing is pressing roller bearings into an aluminum pipe that will be mounted on the engine plate. The shaft will have the metric sprocket (that matches the sprocket on my gear reduction drive) on the engine side and a #41 sprocket on the drive side. Hope that helps give you some ideas. :)
lol i was just thinking of something like that last night if i couldn't find any sheet metal to use. let me know how that works out, i'm very interested.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
decided to ordered this from mcmaster carr:

1 1 Each 4466K151
High-Polish Sanitary Stainless Steel Tubing Type 304L, 1-1/2" OD, 1.37" ID, .065" Wall, 1'L (Same as 4466K53)

$17.02
2 1 Each 1497K141
Fully Keyed 1045 Steel Drive Shaft 5/8" OD, 3/16" Keyway Width, 12" Length

$19.10
3 1 Each 2737T223
Steel Finished-Bore Roller Chain Sprocket for #25 Chain, 1/4" Pitch, 30 Teeth, 5/8" Bore (Same as 2737T22)

$8.70
4 1 Each 6261K284
Standard ANSI Roller Chain #25, Sngl Strand, 1/4" Pitch, Rollerless,.13" Dia, 4'L (Same as 6261K171)

$14.92

the bearings that come in the sbp kit will press into the pipe.