Mango Toucan 3

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
laff

Yup, just like you said.

Your first pic confused me where you had the little screen on the middle of the muffler. I thought it was some kind of trap door thing...

I removed it. No plans to ride through any national forests (or any other forests) anytime soon.

Thanks!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Added a remote gas tank. This is the 50 oz tank that Staton sells, which doubles the fuel capacity. A couple of aluminum bars, some drill & taps, nylocks and spacers and we are ready to go.

The tank is secure and works great. No leaks, started up 2 pulls after I primed it and it ran around the neighborhood fine. Lot better balanced look I think.

Also a lot easier to gas up with the cap right up on top and not tucked under the motor.

Since the motor looks so much better w/o that gas tank under it, I went one step further and sliced off the little extension on the recoil starter.

I think I got this looking just about as good as a friction drive can look - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Added a bike lock. Wouldn't work on the seat post, so I put it on the drive bracket. I am getting a good lotta use out of my drive bracket - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
All done - :)

Added an Origin 8 cargo unit, which is a set of handlebars with a built in basket. Was a little harder than I thought. Needed to get a 4 bolt 1 inch stem and a threadless stem adapter. And shorten all the cables. Had to paint it too, ordered black, but they only had it in white. So, I gave it a two tone to keep the nice smooth powder coat on the control and grip areas.

But now we are ready to ride with a basket and a lock.

No more basket on / basket off stuff, basket is always on - :)

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
Wow, this is a really great build! I would paint the engine, but maybe you like it for the hi-viz color. Since you have a rigid mount on the front pivot of the engine bracket, why not have a spring system pull the bracket down on the tire? Would it vibrate too much?

This design looks really solid, where you have mounted it to the frame gusset. Great job with the fuel tank too.

When I get my fric-drive I am going to mount a milk crate on top of the engine bracket next to the motor, for light cargo or a 1 gallon can, and run a stock tank on the motor Yours is the best looking design though

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Thanks.

I really like it. It's smooth, quiet and easy. The 3 speed hub is ideal. In first I pedal to assist the clutch, when cruising at ~17 mph I can pedal in 3rd and get some exercise. It will go faster, but that isn't important to me. Then when I stop I can shift back to first w/o moving.

:)