questions about morini motors

GoldenMotor.com

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
what does the morini motor come with as in carb, does it come in kit? Do i have to buy everything else seperately? Does the shift kit work with it? Now that i am going to have the money to build my next build i am strongly considering a morini motor, but havent been able to figure out the answers to my question any help will be greatly appreciated thanx

cogswelln

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
why dont you take 5min and call one of the retailers to find out exactly what it comes with....as for the jackshaft, no one makes a bolt on unit, but search and you can see that it really isnt that difficult to make one yourself...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
thanx you were very helpfull too bad im up at 3 am and gone till but 7 at night when i get home have dinner with my family go to bed so i can get up again but thanx for the help reeeeaaaallllllllyyy appreciate it. Oh and on top of ym busy work schedule i also am a full time student in college going into my sophmore year. but if i come up with the 5 min ill call

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
thanx you were very helpfull too bad im up at 3 am and gone till but 7 at night when i get home have dinner with my family go to bed so i can get up again but thanx for the help reeeeaaaallllllllyyy appreciate it. Oh and on top of ym busy work schedule i also am a full time student in college going into my sophmore year. but if i come up with the 5 min ill call
thats a really sad story... how are you planing to build a morini bike, if you cant find 5 min then huh? i bet it takes a little bit longer to slap one together. Good luck to ya

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
sorry i been having a bad day, and just trying to figure out stuff for a morini build, kind of snapped so to speak again i appologize.

Mobbin'Deep

Apr 16, 2010
Far away from home
sorry i been having a bad day, and just trying to figure out stuff for a morini build, kind of snapped so to speak again i appologize.
dont sweat it bro. From what i understand, it does come with dellorto carb, may or may not come with ignition box, doesnt come with a pipe, and you have to fab your own mounting.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Consider for a second the purpose of this forum...

Whenever someone asks a question like this, they're after more than what is asked - they're looking for personal opinions, problems & solutions, the highs and lows of actually building and riding a motorized bike - if they wanted a sales pitch, they probably would just "take 5min and call one of the retailers" but I like to think we offer more than that.

This forum exists to assist people, with the direct experiences of the consumers themselves. While it's true that they may have their own biases, may not even be all that experienced - at least you know they won't steer you towards a different, less appropriate product just because it's got a higher profit margin.

You may have noticed we don't tell people to use the search, that there's no question too basic or too oft repeated here - this forum is open to all motorized bicycle topics, to all builders - the aspiring dreamers, the first timers, and the experienced professionals alike ;)

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
the morini's from herdan come with a carb and coil. you'll need all the stuff from a china kit, like throttle, rear sprocket, and gas tank. there are no motor mount kits for the morini, you'll have to make your own, also the exhaust pipe will be a custom build. i'm using the sbp 4 stroke shift kit, you need the 4 stroke kit to get the wide 3 piece crank kit. all the motor mount parts from the kit won't be used. the jack shaft mount i sloted the holes and then welded the U bolts to the seat post, that made it stable and still able to be adjusted for the chain. on the 4 stroke kit the motor mounts stablize the jack shaft but since your not using that part you need to mount the U bolts solid. i wouldn't do a morini as a first build.

Cogswelln

Dec 6, 2009
Maine
this is actually going to be my second build and ty for all the information, i want a morini for the extra horse power and to be able to haul my trailer easier with my gear for work, i just started working on boat this season and it would be a lot easier to be able to bring my trailer than a back pack loaded every day. but again ty very much for the imformation it helped out a lot for me in planning my next build.

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Cogswelln,

The Morini is a really nice engine, but as camlifter pointed out you will need to be able to fab some stuff.

The Morini engine is considerably more powerful than the typical Chinese engine that comes in the bicycle kits. In my opinion, when using this engine, you need to match all of the components in order to create a safe/reliable MB.

The throttle/kill swich assembly from the Chinese kit will work, but you may need to cut the cable to the correct length and re-make the end that goes into the carb. Of course the little, kit, fuel tank can also be used. The Morini drive sprocket is made for 415 chain...if you have a decent chain from a Chinese kit you can use it...but I really recommend buying a quality chain from a motorcycle shop.

For a morini build I would not even consider:

1) Building on a cheap bike...(everything should be decent quality! Wheels, bearings, brakes...etc.)

2) Using the Chinese kit supplied "rag joint" & sprocket.

Jim

Attachments

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
all my builds are works of art, haven't you been to the museum lately.
Great! so post up photos so we all can see.
I checked your site and didnt find any morini powered bikes.

In the time it took you to reply you could have attached photo proof.

If we don't see any pics I'm calling shenanigans on ya lol

nidyanazo

May 25, 2010
SoCal
Why wouldn't you "guess there wouldn't be any pics"
You have a camera right?

Anyway, have fun with that.
The nuvinci wont stand up to 10HP.

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
I saw one of you mentioned a jackshaft with the Morini engine. I called Herdan earlier this evening and was talking to the guy about the S6-E 3HP engine. If I understood him that engine has a centrifugal clutch, and the output needs a drive sprocket which can drive the rear wheel directly (via some type of chain and sprocket arrangement like the Chinese kits). Is that correct, or do these Morini engines need a jackshaft of some sort to provide RPMs in a usable range? I'm not looking to go any faster than 30MPH, if that.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I saw one of you mentioned a jackshaft with the Morini engine. I called Herdan earlier this evening and was talking to the guy about the S6-E 3HP engine. If I understood him that engine has a centrifugal clutch, and the output needs a drive sprocket which can drive the rear wheel directly (via some type of chain and sprocket arrangement like the Chinese kits). Is that correct, or do these Morini engines need a jackshaft of some sort to provide RPMs in a usable range? I'm not looking to go any faster than 30MPH, if that.

A j shaft is just an attempt to have gears. A simple more trouble free sane build would be to simply run a chain from the motor straight to the rear wheel. 44 tooth sprocket or bigger should do you fine for that motor. It is a 6000 rpm motor. 28cc Two Stroke Air Cooled motor? Prolly won't be a lot of power. I am just taking a stab at the sprocket sizes . I am just not familiar with that motor.

A 28cc motor will not have enough power for a j shaft because a J shaft is drag and steals power.

Last edited:

andy b.

Jul 14, 2010
PA, USA
GH,

THANK YOU! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Another question, for those of you doing a direct chain drive, what are you using to attach a sprocket to the rear hub if you say not to use the sprocket and cut up tire pieces that comes with the Chinese kits? The S6-E output shaft is on the lefthand side, just like the Chinese engines. Of course, it may turn in the opposite direction (I don't know because I have never seen one of these engines in person).

andy b.