mounting license plate

GoldenMotor.com

bangbang880

Mar 22, 2010
Los Angeles
So i just received my license plate from the DMV. How to mount it? I would prefer to have it show. Not ecstatically, But, i would like to detour the police from pulling me over. MOPED 1977 has these cool curved plates for 21.00. but i am not sure how easy they are to mount on a bicycle. You guys have any photos of how you have mounted yours?? Please post if so. Here is the link to moped 1977 plate holders. https://www.1977mopeds.com/product/1891/License-Plate-Bracket--Curved/
while your there check put their gallery. its pretty cool.
happy trails my friends...
.we.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Actually I think you've got the answer - that's a sweet lookin' plate mount and it's nicely unique, it looks made well too. If you've got a rear cargo rack or are willing to mount one it'd be easy 'nuff to add that to it...

It might be a lil heavy for a straight fender mount tho, I'd keep it close to the braces if ya wanted it lower than a rack would have it (mebbe a taillight too?). I suspect you could prolly make something like it yourself if you wanted too and/or have a lighter - easier to mount to a bicycle version.

*shrug* Don't hafta have the pesky things around here tho heh, still - nice find man :D

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
On the 1977Moped web site there is a Moped that has this plate mounted to the rear shock bolt so like Venice said you should possibly be able to mount it to the rear wheel stud, if there isnt room in that area you might consider just using one of the chain tensioner brackets if you have an extra laying around, just remove the roller and then mount it on the down tube that angles back down from seat bar area to rear wheel stud frame plate, put you a good 3/8"X1" bolt through slotted hole that the old chain roller stud came out of and BAM....! you recycled an old part and made it into a useful license plate bracket, just make sure that it clamps very tight to bike frame, might even drill through it and the frame after mounted and then install small sheet metal screw so that it could never rotate into wheel spokes and cause you to have a really bad day out....! GOOD LUCK... hope you can get it done.
Shan
.wee.

bangbang880

Mar 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Thanks so much! Thats a great idea about the chain tensioner brackets. I don't have one laying around but i am sure i could find something close. Thats what i was thinking, on the down tube that angels back. drilling is a good idea too or something to keep it from swinging. that would be ugly and yeah a bad day out! i guess i wont know for sure until i get one and see exactly what's going on there. just wanted to find out how others where handling or not handling the issue of "the Plate".
Thank you!

bangbang880

Mar 22, 2010
Los Angeles
oh i just realized barley awake how your are picturing it. Thats a good thought too. i had pictured it off to the side. i think you are picturing it straight down. in row with the bike.
sort of between rack and fender which i have both. hhmmmm

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
mine's mounted to an ammo can on the side of my bike. technically, it's not legal because it's not visible from the back, but so far i haven't had a problem.

a newport beach cop i talked to said the plate can be mounted sideways, or even upside down, just as long as it's on the back, so if you run a mount like that off the axle bolt or something similar, you shouldn't have a problem.http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f38/20032d1265510227-backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-worksman-pics-002.jpg

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
mine's mounted to an ammo can on the side of my bike. technically, it's not legal because it's not visible from the back, but so far i haven't had a problem.

a newport beach cop i talked to said the plate can be mounted sideways, or even upside down, just as long as it's on the back, so if you run a mount like that off the axle bolt or something similar, you shouldn't have a problem.http://motorbicycling.com/attachments/f38/20032d1265510227-backwards-engine-experiment-1939-colson-worksman-pics-002.jpg
Bairdco, did you turn the jug around on that motor in the pic? I noticed that the carb is on the front of engine and exhaust at the back, I can see where that would work great in a frame without enough room for the carb to clear on the back, I scrapped a project a while back because of this.