Identifying engine origin

GoldenMotor.com

corsario

Feb 16, 2010
Far away
Hi there! I'm new in this forum. You guys have put a lot of excellent information here. Thank you for sharing!

My "problem" is this: I have a 2 stroke engine kit. Is a nice kit a bought to a dealer. I'd like to know which is the origin of that engine. Who is the manufacturer, the factory in China. I want to mount my own business with no dealers in the middle. Any idea??? (of course my dealer won't tell me anything...)

Best regards.

Corsario.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Everybody wants to get into the bike game... :rolleyes:

There are many factories in China that make these kits.
If you want to buy direct from China, you'd better have enough $$$ to buy a whole container of them at one time, & you'd better pray that they ever arrive!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I agree with Venice boy. I would not want to buy a container of them. I've got too many now.
I don't have more than 5 that is 4 to many.
They will drive you crazy.
Some of the latest ones that have come from one seller aren't with the powder to blow to well you know where.

corsario

Feb 16, 2010
Far away
Thanks for you feedback. Nevertheless, there is a lot of people in this business. How do they do?? This business is posible because decent factories exist!

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Corsario -

You are unique! Your are asking your future competition how to dwindle their market share? I wish you well. You will probably have to "re-invent the wheel": make the same mistakes current marketers made, make the same contacts with the foreign company exporters, lay out big dollars, hope you get what you pay for, and comply with ever-more-stringent federal laws and EPA regulations. We assume you are very familiar with state laws as well.

Just a casual observation... No company that provides kits seems to be getting rich. Or even making a lot of money. It appears to me the companies do it simply for the interest and promotion of this "hobby".

We all wish you well. Let us know what you have to offer when you open your doors for business. I may become a customer.

MikeJ

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
Your best available alternative, I think is to check out Manufacturers: Global Sources

After you type in "bicycle engine kit", you'll see all the Chinese suppliers for them.

From there, you're just going to search them out and do your homework. Maybe a trip to China is in order................that way you can personally inspect their factories, if they'll let you, that is.

I found it interesting that there was one company listed called the "Jiangdu Woodpecker Gasoline Engine Factory". That name just screams quality laff

corsario

Feb 16, 2010
Far away
Corsario -

You are unique! Your are asking your future competition how to dwindle their market share? I wish you well. You will probably have to "re-invent the wheel": make the same mistakes current marketers made, make the same contacts with the foreign company exporters, lay out big dollars, hope you get what you pay for, and comply with ever-more-stringent federal laws and EPA regulations. We assume you are very familiar with state laws as well.

Just a casual observation... No company that provides kits seems to be getting rich. Or even making a lot of money. It appears to me the companies do it simply for the interest and promotion of this "hobby".

We all wish you well. Let us know what you have to offer when you open your doors for business. I may become a customer.

MikeJ
Hi Mike. Your comments would be correct if I was living in USA. I'm living in Argentina; no federal laws and EPA regulations (of course there's other laws.) Here, 1US$= 4 AR$, so, business could be done. Context are completely different. Some guy (from Arg) told me he knows somebody who sells 1000 units/year. Also told me that this guy earn US$50 (only) for each kit sold. Sure is nothing to you, but here: USD$50*1000= 50000 grands. 50000US$ x 4= 200000 AR$. 200000 AR$/ 12 (months)= 16666 AR$. Almost the salary a senator earn in my province, and believe me, you can live very well here with 16666 AR$ (US$4220) in a month.

There's a lot of workers (sadly, they're out of the system) and they use the bicycle as "tool". They don't pay for transportation. They can't buy a bike 110 cc (US$1012) but they could buy an engine kit for they bicycles (US$250).

This is de context and reason for I'm looking the right factory in China. I live in north of the country, and here (in the north), this market is virgin. So, if I can hit before others, my advantage will make a difference.

Regards.

corsario

Feb 16, 2010
Far away
Your best available alternative, I think is to check out Manufacturers: Global Sources

After you type in "bicycle engine kit", you'll see all the Chinese suppliers for them.

From there, you're just going to search them out and do your homework. Maybe a trip to China is in order................that way you can personally inspect their factories, if they'll let you, that is.

I found it interesting that there was one company listed called the "Jiangdu Woodpecker Gasoline Engine Factory". That name just screams quality laff
Thank you for this data. I know (for sure), soon or later I'll find this information. I'll start with your clue. As I said before, here (Argentina), people has transportation needs. Dintances aren't so large, so, this is a really nice vehicle.

Why do I want to do this? Very simple: I'm an IT professional. I can't live here with salary these mother fu..... pay. My wife is a senior analyst acounter in a big corporation (AES Corp), salary ain't bad, but she has to live -literaly- in the office. That's no life. We're looking for a better life with own businesses. By the way, if anybody needs low cost IT services, let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!! ([email protected])

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Due to the ...varying quality of these kits even from the same manufacturer there's no way of knowing exactly what you'll get - a problem only compounded if bought in bulk.

While the profit margin would of course be somewhat smaller, given your stated concerns and location I'd recommend starting out far smaller by simply requesting a discount for lots of ten from a more local vendor. You mentioned thinking there's enough potential demand to satisfy both you and your supplier - not to mention you're essentially acting as a franchise, so it works out well for the both of you.

Should there be enough demand in this "testing of the waters" to necessitate larger quantities, well - there's enough business for everyone and it still isn't a "threat" to your fellow vendor should you become independent... unless his business practices fall short *shrug*

Still... many vendors just squeak by, it's not uncommon for this to be done more as a hobby than as a true business venture, so your local distributor may not actually be able to cut you enough of a discount to be worth your while. If that's the case - then it's just as well as you've learned from his mistake and the market isn't as healthy as it appeared.

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
Hi Corsario -

I offer my apologies for making a bad assumption. I still hope you do well. Now that others and I understand where you are from, maybe assistance will flow more easily to you.

Mike J

corsario

Feb 16, 2010
Far away
Hi Corsario -

I offer my apologies for making a bad assumption. I still hope you do well. Now that others and I understand where you are from, maybe assistance will flow more easily to you.

Mike J
Hey, no problem. I should say where I'm living to get clearer information.

I just "can't" believe that chineses are so informal. My current supplier buys directly to a chinese factory and gets really good quality. I don't know how to find out which factory he's buying the kits.