new kill switch?

GoldenMotor.com

maximillian

Jan 17, 2010
seattle
Ive just gotten my bike working and it seems to be going well. The one thing i dont like is how long it takes to kill the engine, Could i strip one of the cdi wires and just put an old fashoned switch on it? So to kill it, you just flip the switch. Thanks -max

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Max,
Any normally open switch will work as a kill switch. The kit supplied switch (button) is called a normally open momentary switch. You can use a toggle, rocker, pushon/off, any kind of switch but it must be normally open contacts. The two wires from the switch should be spliced into the blue and black from the engine/CDI. Wire color is unimportant.
Tom

maximillian

Jan 17, 2010
seattle
Ok thanks. With the kill switch that comes with the bike, it take at least 5 seconds to kill my engine which i do not like

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Max
Replacing the switch will probably not shorten that time. The instant you depress the button the ignition is disabled, same with any switch. The time it takes is for the engine to stop rotating. All of mine, 2 and 4 strokes require 3 to 4 seconds to stop completely. It is possible that the contacts in your kill switch are not making good connection and that could increase the shut down time. In that case a new switch would help. You can test this by simply using a jumper wire to connect the blue and black wire. See how long it takes to kill your engine and compare. If it shuts down quicker, replace the switch.
Tom

maximillian

Jan 17, 2010
seattle
But the kill switch that comes with it stops working exactly when you stop pressing the button. I want one that keeps off until you flip the switch. ill try both thanks -max

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Max,
Replace the kill button with a toggle switch. Ask for a single pole, single throw switch. That will have two terminals. Hook up wires from the terminals to the blue and black and you'll be set.
Tom