Johnny 5 is Alive a Short Circuit BTR!

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Labrat,

Great progress on the build, looks like you have been spending some quality time in the shop. I would really like to know more about your charging system.

For a while, I was using that same mini alternator, but while traveling at higher speeds, I kept burning out the voltage regulator. I could not find a regulator with a wide enough input voltage range.

Measuring with a multimeter, I was getting from 50 to 60 volts at full throttle. When trying to find a regulator, the ones that had that high of an input value had a too high minimum input voltage.

I would appreciate any knowledge you might be able to share.

Gilbert

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Hey Labrat,

Great progress on the build, looks like you have been spending some quality time in the shop. I would really like to know more about your charging system.

For a while, I was using that same mini alternator, but while traveling at higher speeds, I kept burning out the voltage regulator. I could not find a regulator with a wide enough input voltage range.

Measuring with a multimeter, I was getting from 50 to 60 volts at full throttle. When trying to find a regulator, the ones that had that high of an input value had a too high minimum input voltage.

I would appreciate any knowledge you might be able to share.

Gilbert
IMHO you have a cheap voltage regulator
Kubota tractor alternator.... Expensive @ 40 bucks
Through the regulator 14.3 vt at 4 amp.
All lights on = 1.6 amps

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Labrat,

Is Johnny 5 still alive? I haven't heard him
talking for a while. I am very interested in hearing news regarding his first voyage out of the shop and onto the open road with the vroom vroom noises and the wind flying through his "hair".

Gilbert