what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... I like the Kool Stop Salmon compound pads and those will go on my rear brake, For the front disc I got a better caliper for it already that fits the bike's caliper bracket and I got another calpier with bigger pads but I'll need to make a bracket or buy a conversion bracket to use it. The Noleen front end I got on the bike now is set up for V brakes only but I can make a bracket for whichever caliper I decide to use. I just need to see my brake pad options for each caliper to see which one has the best selection. The one that's on the bike uses the smallest pads, but the other one uses slightly larger pads, the third one uses these pads that look more like motorcycle pads so I'm not going to use that one unless I know I can get decent replacement pads.

The new bike I got also has the dual trigger type shifters instead of the twist grip type so I'll most likely move those over to my silver bike to free up more space on my bars.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Added a set of cool stops myself.
Oh and came across a set of suntour suspension forks for my 1" neck.
added a suspension seat post and now I am riding on a cloud.....

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Yeah, I found the same ones on ebay. A little spensive so I'll prolly use up the last couple pair of the ones I already have. That shouldn't take too long.
fatdaddy.usflg

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Hehe... it don't take too long to wear thru a set if ya do a few hard stops from 40 or so... It seems like every few days I gotta readjust mine if I stop hard from those speeds, that's why I usually try and coast down some before hitting the brakes. Gotta make sure thtey'll still stop hard in case a car pulls out in front of me when I'm on my morning taco run... The way back is a lot better since there's no side streets I can open it up and just coast down when I get close to the shop...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Got some more of my (For Sale) bike parts in yesterday and then just got back from my one and onl local bike shop a short while ago, picked up a Wheel Master multi speed wheel, steel rim and 12ga spokes, local shop sells me these wheels for $26 and they're always nice and true, Im about to the poi t where I dont really want to put a rag joint coupler on the small spoked wheels if I can help it, the 14ga spomes work but I've had one break under the tag joint already and several more were bent and just looked like more breakage looking for a place to happen.

The Heavy spoke wheels are dang near bullet proof and I have almost no co cern about spoke damage from the compression coupler deforming the spokes or making them weak, I for sure dont want to sell a bike with a marginal rear wheel so the bike will get this heavy duty wheel with lots of good grease in the bearings and everything adjusted just right.

I picked up a couple thorn resistant tubes ad some wide rim strips while I was there and a couple sets of the soft cheap foam grips, these grips really absorb bar vibes and make long ride a lot more comfortable on the paws.

fixing to pull head and jug off the new engine to see how she looks and see what sorted ports this $119 kit has and what crank and rod it has.

Map

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Hehe... it don't take too long to wear thru a set if ya do a few hard stops from 40 or so... It seems like every few days I gotta readjust mine if I stop hard from those speeds, that's why I usually try and coast down some before hitting the brakes. Gotta make sure thtey'll still stop hard in case a car pulls out in front of me when I'm on my morning taco run... The way back is a lot better since there's no side streets I can open it up and just coast down when I get close to the shop...
YUP, Aint nothing quite like the feeling ya get coming to a busy intersection and finding out ya got NOTHIN for brakes. Yer cheeks start squeezing the seat and yer trying to wear out a good pair of shoes on the pavement, Flintstone style brakes, Yabba dabba doo.
fatdaddy.usflg

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
Aired up the tires adjusted the front wheel skewer, it was too tight and the hub wasn't rolling as smooth.

Removed white wire from magneto, made a new magneto case gasket and sealed it up inside and out with oil resistant rtv, made sure it was water tight this time.

I installed a new #41 chain and new tensioner heavy duty tensioner wheel, adjusted clutch and everything rolls smooth. I might have to take some more material out of the case cover, I've already removed a good amount though.

I got my pedalchopper.com steel lay back seatpost the other day and it's amazing. It still need different bars, my Origin 8 Batwing bars look awesome but aren't very comfortable

Hopefully I can add a new seat soon, my sportourer elastomer seat sucks, it's soft, but I think those elastomers are not meant for big boys, probably going to get a Cloud 9

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
YUP, Aint nothing quite like the feeling ya get coming to a busy intersection and finding out ya got NOTHIN for brakes. Yer cheeks start squeezing the seat and yer trying to wear out a good pair of shoes on the pavement, Flintstone style brakes, Yabba dabba doo.
fatdaddy.usflg
I had a 27" 10 speed racer when I was 12 that i used to ride and when the brakes quit working I would stop the bike by putting my foot on the front tire and it worked pretty good at the time... until once I went for a ride wearing my football cleats... was moving pretty good and went to slow down so my cousin could catch up, put my foot up to the front tire and onenof the cleats grabbed a spoke, flipped the bike and face planted me on the pavement... a broken wrist and a tooth thru my lip taught me it's always best to be sure the brakes work before going for a ride...

Btw.... I ride mine every day unless it's raining, then i join in on these silly posts until the rain stops.laff

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
fatdaddy.usflg
Have you read,"Emergency breaks Keep you out of the lakes"?
would have saved your shoes ;)
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=57764

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
fatdaddy.usflg
LOL FD! Ohh, that do suck!

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
The West Coast bike I have came with no front brake and both drum and V brake in back. The lugs for the V brake are still there but I don't know if they were installed and removed by previous owners or what. As I am putting on a brushless electric hub the coaster brake is out and the V brake will be made to function. Thanks for the tip on the Salmon pads for sure ;) I did add a Sturmy-Archer Dyno-Drum to the front so I have front brakes. The dyno was because I had intended to run a Morini so power for a lighting system was needed now it's added resistance. I plan on towing 4 car batteries for power to the motor but I will still use the power from the dyno to run a lighting system with it's own battery supply for stability.

I talked to the bike repair guy that laced the hub to my front wheel. He's going to help with the things I need like laceing the electric hub to my rim. I don't know but the V brake arms look to me to be extra long, I haven't seen anything quite like them. I think we might have trouble finding a set but I'm hoping I'm wrong and we can get the brakes at both ends working. I'm gonna need them to stop me and a trailer of car batteries ;)

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
changed up my running lights a little bit... spliced a second headlight and adjusted the mounts to either sides of the front fender so i can actually see the ground just ahead of me... also built a battery tube for 3 D cells to power both front running lights as well as the brake light... rewired the switches also...

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Redneck, your bike looks not to be F'ed with. Like a noble steed that charges valiantly into battle.

I stuck a set of light up valve caps on my bike.

Attachments

redneck82

May 25, 2014
concord, nh
thanks guys... It kinda reminds me of something youd see in a mad max movie lmfao... Ive been piecing it together with whatever i have on hand at the time... It is still very much a work in progress... But its all coming together...

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
thanks guys... It kinda reminds me of something youd see in a mad max movie lmfao... Ive been piecing it together with whatever i have on hand at the time... It is still very much a work in progress... But its all coming together...
Not a thing wrong with that bike, we all do what we can with what we have to work with and in the end if we like what we have and enjoy it, thats all that matters..

Just build them with safety in mind and make sure all the ducks are in a row so to speak with mechanical stuff that is important and ride it and enjoy it.

we make them our own and that is just fine with me from the show bike look all the way to the just come out of the wrecking yard look like one of mine looks...LOL!

dance1