GoldenMotor.com

Dark firefighter

Jul 20, 2014
Selkirk Ny
Hello, My name is Brandon. I have recently seen the videos on youtube of these bicycles and was wowed! I really want one. Especially chopper style of bike! The thing is I need to find employment first then I will start looking into it... I am just curious to what the price range of one of these bikes are and what kind of license I need to operate one of these in the state of New York. Also a question to those who know there bikes... Do any of those bikes come with an automatic transmission? I have never rode a motorized bicycle and never learned about shifting gears. I would love to learn but still I have no Idea what i am doing.. Thanks guys this looks like an awesome website. I am sure to frequently visit!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Brandon, welcome to the community. You've found the right pace to help you enjoy the hobby of motorized bicycles. There is a world of information here posted by experienced builders who will be here to offer advice when you need it.

Ball park price, $200. and up. That would be for a Chinese 2 stroke engine kit and a bicycle to install it on. You can go mild to wild but start small, get some experience and then consider upgrades. Master the basics first and get familar with the engine and kit parts.
There are also 4 stroke (cycle) engines and kits. They are typically a little more expensive and many times a second or third build but there are a few who begin with 4 strokes. Your choice.

There really isn't a transmission in the pure sense. There is a clutch which disengages the engine from the drive chain, most are manual but there are centrifugal clutches that engage according to engine speed. You will also have the option of installing an aftermarket 'shift kit' which allows use of the bicycle gears, if equipped. My suggestion would be to forego that option until you're more experienced.

We urge new members to make use of our search feature using key word/s that will take you to pages of discussion on every aspect of building and maintaining a motorized bike.
Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, a basic Chinese kit is a single speed. Its as easy as riding a regular bicycle, you pedal to get going then let out the clutch. You do the same to start also. You can build a basic single speed bike for around 3 hundred dollars if you do it yourself. If you find a used bike you can save a little. I recommend to every new member to use the search near the top of the page to find threads on the forum about what ever you are interested in.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. If you are a firefighter, we should be thanking you for what you do.

Dark firefighter

Jul 20, 2014
Selkirk Ny
Ahh of coarse and indeed I am a firefighter. I just need to get a job that pays... I seen the bike on the first page. The chopper style bike with the red rims! XO That is something that I would LOVE. I have zero skill when it comes to engines to be honest... haha I would love to learn, I want a bike like this cause they go like what 40-50 mph? That is good enough for me so I can find a paying job...

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Howdy & welcome!!

A basic 'starter kit' is lucky to see over 30mph. However, it just seems faster because you're on a bicycle! Make sure you've got good brakes (more than the basic coaster brake or cheapy caliper brakes) because most bikes rarely get above 15 mph.

Good luck with your future project!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Would you settle for 25 to 30mph? That's a more realistic speed figure. You'll see the higher speeds, high 40s and 50s posted by some members but those are not stock engines or normal speeds.

Just don't want you to be disappointed when you find that 25 to 30 is a more reasonable expectation until you start doing some engine modifications that might require more skill than you're telling us you have.

Tom