Best way to strip spraypaint from plastic?

GoldenMotor.com

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have an old yamaha tri-moto plastic tank. I paid $15 for it, and it holds about 2 gallons. Original color is black, but I have tried spraying it several different colors to see if there were any colors that wouldnt bubble up. Found out that any paint will bubble on plastic because gas fumes permeate the plastic. Dont want to paint it no more, just want to get back to the flat black. Looking for something cheap, easy and relatively quick that wont scratch the tank anymore than it already is. When I say relatively quick, I mean something that I can do in a few hours or less. Cheap means $5 or less. Easy means I can do it using whatever solvent is recommended and other household materials, unless I already have a solvent around the house that I can use. Let me know.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Try one of the citris based paint removers. They are usually less aggressive than some of the others. I'd suggest doing a small spot in an inconspicuous place first to test. Also read the label of any product you choose to try.

Tom

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
what about brake fluid? heard that stuff eats paint for breakfast. when i said i didnt want to scratch it, i just meant i didnt want to use something abrasive like steel wool or sandpaper. would brake fluid work? how should i apply it and remove it, and how long should i leave it on?

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I dont have any brake fluid, but I ran across a thread on a hobby forum where someone suggested using nail polish remover. I happen to have some of that, and Im using it. Its weakening the paint to the point that I am able to scrape some off with a nickel. Im not finished yet, and if Im not able to finish in the next half hour, it will have to wait till tomorrow. I have a doc appointment, so I have to go to bed soon. Im pretty tired anyway.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
nail polish remover is sometimes acetone with some oils added to it.

dandy if it is working for u, and u have it on hand!

Soapy water real well to clean off residue when done...
rc

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
purple power degreaser (it used to be called castrol super clean).
BUT, you'd have to submirge the tank in it and let it soak for a few hours.
if the paint id fresh this stuff will take it right off.
I use it all the time to strip paint on plastic model car bodies.
use a toothbrush or a stiff brush to scrub the paint away aftger it's been soaking for awhile.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
its a two gallon tank, do you have any idea how much purple power I would need in order to fully submerge it? Not to mention finding something to put it in to soak, which I dont have. I thought I mentioned cheap and easy in my first post. A two gallon tank for pete's sake. Its a lot bigger than those teardrop tanks that come with the kits. it came off a three wheeler. Im gonna get some brake fluid in a couple days when i have the money. The paint is not fresh, its been on there for months. The nail polish remover helped a little but not enough. I could scrape the paint off with the nickel, but it would take too long with me having carpal tunnel. Im just going to use brake fluid. its cheap and I read that it works really fast. Im gonna use a sponge to apply it and soap and water to wash it off.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
uh well, yeah...purple power would not be a cheap option.
why not just try laquer thinner?
it's probably cheaper than brake fluid, and it won't leave everything feeling oily when you're done.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
considering the fact that brake fluid is about $3 for a small bottle, I doubt that anything that works is gonna be cheaper than that. The small bottle of brake fluid will be more than enough to do the job, and as far as it leaving everything oily, thats why im gonna wash it down with soapy water afterward. Im also thinking about buying some really cheap car wax so I can make the tank look a little nicer after stripping it.

TGM2054

Mar 22, 2012
Iowa
Try oven cieaner. Thats what I use on slot car bodies. Takes a little time to work. Might have to spray it a couple of times, but it's cheap.Put it in a plastic bag and leave it sit. If you try the brake fluid be careful, it attacks some plastics.

CroMagnum

Sep 2, 2011
Los Angeles
Do they still sell M.E.K.? Your tank is probably polyethylene so you shouldn't have any problems, but I'd still test it out on a small spot first.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
purple power degreaser (it used to be called castrol super clean).
BUT, you'd have to submirge the tank in it and let it soak for a few hours.
if the paint id fresh this stuff will take it right off.
I use it all the time to strip paint on plastic model car bodies.
use a toothbrush or a stiff brush to scrub the paint away aftger it's been soaking for awhile.
i use purple power to clean engines and stains on my driveway. awesome stuff. worked wonders on dirty aluminum valve covers

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I use a lot of lacquer thinner. If you get some that is really hot, it could quickly eat up your plastic before you could stop the chemical action... same thing for acetone.

I'd advise against both those choices without testing in a very small spot.

You can also strip some sorts of paint products using fabric softener.
...same reaction as the 'magic eraser'.

And, some people will have a strong negative reaction to any of these products!
Be cautious!

Best
rc

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
the Oops brand remover stuff, you know to strip off sticker residue and stuff, that works awesome for removing spray paint, but i dont know how it effects plastic, i think i paid 5 or 6 bucks for a big can of it from a hardware store