scruffy huffy first build

GoldenMotor.com

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
hi,new to the motorbike world.just finished building a old huffy " lil scruffy".my first but not the last build.have a 1964 schwinn racer i plan on doing up and a occ chopper.want to install a 50 cc motorcycle motor to put on chopper.has anyone done this yet?any ideas?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Welcome robbomberbomyea! Could you verify if this:

oldroads.com - Vintage Bicycle Picture Database

link is showing what you have.

That site oldroads has Shwinn's listed from 1851 to 1987 and is a good reference.

If so there is a large area for a big engine. I like the DIYer (Do It Yourself) section of this site, but if you are for a kit so be it.

I have my JC Penny Foremost in the same era being completed with a 3hp Briggs engine. For only off road and the pedals are gone now.

For a true bicycle / powered bicycle, both available you must check if you want it legal on the streets and others havde more knowlege on that point. Checking locally with the law enforcement in your area is the best bet first before you end up having no where to ride it.

I am planning to get an OHV (Off Highway Vehicle) state sticker, not a true registration but good for entrance into motorcycle parks run private, state, or federal lands.

Measure Twice

Oops, on your info I just noticed you have 3 pics of the Murry Build and in the back there is a chopper bike, besides the motorcycle street bike. You then are into motor bikes quite already!

Last edited:

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
that was it.uploaded pics to profile,should i rat or restore????both would be cool,like the boardtrack look but looks harder to build. any ideas?

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Maybe I'm spoiled, for I would want a big hill climbing engine. That exceptionally large space for a big engine on that frame triangle spot, just says horsepower. You know I have already mentioned my bike is no more pedals and is an off road vehicle and I since have heard another post recently of someone getting pulled over by a cop and told they have to pedal and that the motor is not legal.

Keeping the pedals on and having the engine placed so you can still pedal takes some doing. The extension and stuff the pedal crank that some here do is amazing. I did not want to tackel that yet and favor OHV for motorcycle parks.

Go either way. If you are already set up to cut and reweld then I see some way you can rat. I'm not the expert on rat, but I like a lot of the rat mods I've seen. Leaving it as is, but just changing minor stuff like handle bars for what I have seen on the board track style that slope downward may do too.

Measure Twice