Terrible noise under power and pedal

GoldenMotor.com

oldeskool

Sep 19, 2008
Well I took my 80cc china beach cruiser out on its maiden voyage just now. I am thrilled.

However, there is a great deal of noise coming from the engine whenever the engine is off and I am pedaling. A fair amount of resistance too I might add.

It is a high pitched noise with some whirring. Please be aware that the clutch is not the culprit. The noise persists when the clutch is engaged, the engine on and cruising.

When I first got the engine, pressing the clutch would not do a thing. I opened the clutch cover and was able to lock the large gear in place while I force the small deal in the middle to move, it broke loose and the small drive sprocket would then move when the clutch was disengaged.

I feel like the problem is a lack of lubrication between those two parts, which is probably why they were stuck to begin with.

Sorry for the long post.

Anybody had this problem? Am I on the right track?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us.

It still sounds like clutch adjustment too me :confused:

Hopefully someone else may have something to add

oldeskool

Sep 19, 2008
Thanks for the welcome and the response.

I don't know exactly what takes place between the clutch on the one side and the drive sprocket on the other side. is there a set of bearings in there?

It seems like whatever is in the middle is causing the problem. I dont really want to take it all apart because I don't know what kind of mess I may be getting into.

Does someone have a picture or diagram of the drive assembly?

Sometime in the next day or two I'll take the clutch plate off and go for a pedal ride just to be sure its not the clutch. But the flower nut and I are well acquainted.

Last edited:

oldeskool

Sep 19, 2008
Oh man, thats just what I was looking for!

Should I go with something thin like gear oil or something thicker like grease?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
use grease and watch it closely the grease will squirt out aroung the bearing inder the clutch and will squirt out around the front chain sprocket. the clutch side is the one you want to watch so you don't get too much grease there. If you ain't afraid you could take the clutch completely off to do the greasing.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
One other point to look for is the clutch lifting mechanism. Remove the cover on the left side over the sprocket and remove the rod and the ball inside the shaft and fill the space with grease then replace the ball and rod. Also push grease in the lifting cam in the outer cover, all the rotation at the shaft will cause the parts to squeal if not lubed proper. And don't be fooled with that stuff that looks like grease from China its just Water Buffalo snot. Hope this helps. You can see the placement of the parts in the tear down. Have fun, Dave

oldeskool

Sep 19, 2008
Thanks a bunch everyone.

I hope I didn't do too much damage riding for about a mile without proper lubrication.

And hey, how do I get that ball out? I can get the little dowel piece out but it looks like i'll need a long skinny magnet for the ball.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
If your place is like mine take the cover off and hide behind the car that friggen little ball will come to the end and look around if it doesn't see you it will jump out and haul butt to the farthest corner of the shop to hide in all the dust and dirt that seem to accumulate under things I wonder at times if there ain't some kind of mining operation going on in my shop cause of all the dirt and crap that builds up or you can.............

use a magnet to get the ball out and I don't think you hurt anything as they don't tell you a word about greasing the inside other than the 2 gears.
Look inside your clutch cover and see if the gears are eating on the cover if it is you can use a dremel tool to grind off the offending area or let nature take its course.

Last edited: