wheel set question

GoldenMotor.com

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
If I purchased a lower cost bike from a place like Chubby's Bikes online and wanted to change the wheel set - and put a motor on the bike. Which type of wheel set would you recommend I go with?

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Husky makes a lot of good wheels. You can get them through their industrial bike site or pirate cycles has them also. Stick with the Shimano Coaster rear hub and get an adapter with sprocket and your good to go. Also Husky has a front wheel with drum brake, also a good addition, stop is just as important as go, lol. L8R.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Husky makes a lot of good wheels. You can get them through their industrial bike site or pirate cycles has them also. Stick with the Shimano Coaster rear hub and get an adapter with sprocket and your good to go. Also Husky has a front wheel with drum brake, also a good addition, stop is just as important as go, lol. L8R.

I would agree with Tipsy. Front drum brakes are great. Huskys are a good deal and made well. Worksman are the best and the price reflects that. And I would also suggest Pirate Cycles . Huskys website kills on shipping.
Husky Wheels

Worksman Wheels

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
The Firmstrong doesn't list what gauge the spokes are but my preference is to have no less than 11ga on the rear and no less that 12ga (preferably 11ga) on the front. The problem is that the rear hub may or may not allow you to mount a sprocket adapter later but you can use the rag joint that is in the kit for now if you wish. as I agree with the others to use a Shimano (CBE-110) as it is the most standard of all of the rear hubs to fit sprocket adapters which make your life so much easier and your ride so much smoother. I have used both makers designs of sprocket adapter and personally like Sports Car Pats design for several reasons. Just an opinion though. I like the Sturmy Archer and Worksman Hubs and wheels both for the front.

Elaia you are never REQUIRED to do anything but be prepared to get many opinions when you ask for help here. Diversity is good and this is a diverse community and seems like not many people agree all of the time but in the end it is your decision and it is you and your wallet that has to make that decision.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
The Firmstrong doesn't list what gauge the spokes are but my preference is to have no less than 11ga on the rear and no less that 12ga (preferably 11ga) on the front. The problem is that the rear hub may or may not allow you to mount a sprocket adapter later but you can use the rag joint that is in the kit for now if you wish. as I agree with the others to use a Shimano (CBE-110) as it is the most standard of all of the rear hubs to fit sprocket adapters which make your life so much easier and your ride so much smoother. I have used both makers designs of sprocket adapter and personally like Sports Car Pats design for several reasons. Just an opinion though. I like the Sturmy Archer and Worksman Hubs and wheels both for the front.

Elaia you are never REQUIRED to do anything but be prepared to get many opinions when you ask for help here. Diversity is good and this is a diverse community and seems like not many people agree all of the time but in the end it is your decision and it is you and your wallet that has to make that decision.
I agree with Marks post above you ask for suggestions you'll get plenty, we all want to help you with your addiction, that is get you hooked on our Motorized Bicycle Addiction!

Firmstrong / Firth Sports, same company here's the spec's it's 14-gauge spokes:
Firth Sports

OR

Firmstrong Bikes

See my post on your thread Firmstrong Urban Deluxe Stretch Cruiser - Page 2 - Motorized Bicycle: Engine Kit Forum

The heavy duty wheels from Bicycle-engines.com & BlowByYou are also suitable for your build.

Peace Crazy Horse.
P.S.S. Don't forget to checkout the link below for BarelyAwakes thread on Alternate 4-Strokes.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
LOL

I say tomato, you say tomatoe...
u guys funny!

To the OP...
If there is any way you can spring for a hub adapter and proper tensioner I would advise not even taking the time to mount up the rag joint.

Basically, it serves to mount a kit to as many bikes as possible, and it does that.
Beyond that, it leaves a whole lot to be desired.

Good luck
rc

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
When are you guys going to learn that these vendor arguments will not be tolerated?
If you can't answer the OP's question without starting a flame war, ignore the thread and move on.

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
I think I am now more confused than ever! Things keep escalating for this build!

Some have recommended really expensive wheels while others have recommended more inexpensive ones, plus the sprocket and adaptor, plus brake systems.

I would appreciate some feedback on what to go with for my build.

Budget is a big issue since I just dropped a load on the new bike and now the motor kit as well. After discussing things for the past few days, I understand that I need to upgrade my wheel set and add a new sprocket and adapter for the motor as well as put brakes on.

For those of you who have built a few bikes, can you please recommend a good quality wheel, sprocket and hub adapter and brake system that I can use on my new stretch cruiser?

I would appreciate links and I would also like to order from as few different companies as possible.

I appreciate your help and feedback in this area.

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
I think I may just use the wheels that come with the bike and the motor kits sprocket with only the coaster brake for now.

As I save up, I may then upgrade the wheel and put on a new sprocket and hub adaptor and possibly a front disk brake.

But, I will just use the bike to cruise around my town and not for commuting anywhere.

MarkSumpter

Nov 27, 2010
Ohio
Keith

I understand the confusion with the load of data you already have and we all have different products we prefer to use.

Personally as I said I will only use the Sportsman adapter now because it is better balanced, has recessed headed screws to mount the sprocket to the adapter eliminating the need to reform (ermmm bend is what it really is) the brake lever to clear the screws, and has a better clamping action than other 2 piece designs that are available because it spreads the torque over the wheel hub more evenly granted they are a little more expensive but well worth the price difference.

Here is a thread so you can see their design:

Anodized Sportsman Wheel Adapters

If I were you I would probably upgrade the rear hub and wheel and use the stock front one for a while with just a fit all pull brake. I think you said you are familiar with Piston Bikes and although they aren't listed on their site yet I know the CBE-110 hubs available they can lace with 11ga spokes for you to a HD rim as well as stock the Sportsman adapter and fit all center and side pull rim brake kits to give you front braking capabilities. Keep in mind though that if you go to a Sprocket adapter that you will also have to use the heavier #415 chain as both have sprockets machined for it instead if the lighter 410 that comes with the kits ( it is a good upgrade anyway because it doesn't stretch and twist as bad).

I would give Greg or Robert at PB ((800) 361-5755) a call and tell them what you are doing and I am sure they can help you out and maybe cut you a deal to order it all there.

Last edited: