Winter Projects: Rear Drum Brake

GoldenMotor.com

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I am trying to figure out which way to go for a winter project. Does anyone have a close-up photo or some info on using a rear drum hub with a drive side sprocket ?

xct2Cheers

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I'm not sure that it is doable. The sprockets will not fit a drum hub or Nexus roller brake without some custom machining. (Manic Mechanic may do it)
Adding a rear disk might be easier. The Tophat adaptor allows you to attach a disk rotor and drive sprocket to your rear wheel (six bolt disk hub). An A2Z adaptor will allow you to mount a disk caliper to most frames (I have one on my pedal powered mountain bike). Venice sells caliper mounts and so does Chainganglowrider.com
IMHO, it is better to put your money into a drum or disk brake on the front. Coaster or rim brakes are adequate on the rear wheel if you have a good brake on the front wheel. It is far more expensive and problematic to put a disk or drum on the rear than the front.

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Those band brakes suck. I wish Grubee would consider making an adapter for a disc brake on their HD axle. I guess you would have to reverse the small threads(35x1's) on the outer left side and have a spin on six hole adapter. Wishful thinking right...

If you want a rear drum brake look at doing a jackshaft to eliminate the left hand drive.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I didnt know if it was do-able off the shelf type project, I know SCP is doing them on the Morini Flyer model. Just trying to get some ideas for the winter snow-fest thats coming.

Cheers