intake manifold

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I really dont like the bend/kink in my kit supplied intake. Is there any reason that one could not be made from some copper tubbing? Just curious. Figure copper is really easy to work with and easy to braze but would probably have to use the factory mounting flange. Take a little work to get the diameter right at the carb but other than that does anyone see a problem with using copper? Also thinking about messing around with some emt (galvanized conduit). Sure not as pretty as the billet but I'm more about function than form.
I am unemployed right now and taking it out on my bikes!

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Well just my two cents, probably not a good plan to utilize anything from the stock intake given you intend to braze. I had originally planned on brazing a copper 45 degree fitting to mine. Within seconds of introducing heat while testing, the pot metal casting melted like butter. With nothing to loose I attempted to flatten the destorted flange and it fractured revealing the inferior composition. Maybe someone else has perfected the technique but I ended up just fabricating the whole thing.

Attachments

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
With the steel flange from the steel type intake it might work.
Or buy a small PC of aluminum plate from the hardware store and cut one out.
Then you could braze it up.
If you could find copper plate it would prolly be even better.