Florida poboy bike

GoldenMotor.com

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
About to take the plunge and buy a 49cc kit from zoombicycles. My biggest concern since I have no transportation and am in the country 30 miles away from a city is the reliability, tank milage and being road legal. More so would be legal since I dumpster dive at night and often have friendly chats with the local authorities. I've done all the research I can so I feel pretty confident about going this route.
I have a second hand murray 24" bike that I'll be jerry rigging with salvaged leds and a lipo battery to get on the road as cheap as possible, but would like to re-use the kit when I can find a better bike.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum.
I do a 50 mile round trip commute with a 3/4 gallon tank. Sounds like you may need a 1 gallon tank. A cheap alternative is to carry an extra gas can of premix on your cargo rack.
You can get three of those LED touch lights (as seen on TV) for around $10 that can
be wired to the white wire on your engine. I use two on the front and one on the back.
Tint the rear light red with a sharpie marker or tail light tape from an auto parts store.
You will need to make a mount for them. You can usually use the parts that attach your reflectors for mounts.

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
Only 70mpg? I had a gz250 that did that kind of gas mileage, but I only weigh 130.
I already have a bunch of LEDs of all colors, reflectors, solar panels, li-po's, resistors, caps and regulators hanging around that I scavenged. I don't think I'll use power from the magneto though, the spikes from the magnetic field collapsing on the coil would eventually fry any silicon attached.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
kidcrash- I have some fuel left after a 50 mile commute. I carry that extra fuel because a strong headwind for 25 miles can really affect the fuel mileage.
I can't take credit for the tap light idea. I found it in a post on the other motorized bike site.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
About to take the plunge and buy a 49cc kit from zoombicycles. My biggest concern since I have no transportation and am in the country 30 miles away from a city is the reliability, tank milage and being road legal. More so would be legal since I dumpster dive at night and often have friendly chats with the local authorities. I've done all the research I can so I feel pretty confident about going this route.
I have a second hand murray 24" bike that I'll be jerry rigging with salvaged leds and a lipo battery to get on the road as cheap as possible, but would like to re-use the kit when I can find a better bike.

Welcome to the fold Kid....I'm in G'ville also.....motorbikes are quite legal here and I've been pulled simply cuz the cop wanted to know more about the bike !....those ****ers !...I also order my kits from Zoom...they're a tad slow in delivery but that's only because they are up in Canada.....well worth the wait ....I've enclosed a snap of my current ride....lets keep in touch and perhaps meet for a ride....

Laters,
Salty.shft.

Attachments

Last edited:

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
Just went through the entire 100:1 thread and now looking for a opti-2 distributor around gainesville, alachua or high springs. I want to break in with a 80:1 pouch and go 100:1 from then on.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Just went through the entire 100:1 thread and now looking for a opti-2 distributor around gainesville, alachua or high springs. I want to break in with a 80:1 pouch and go 100:1 from then on.
I don't know whom you've been speaking with but those oil/gas ratios are not sounding right .....do you want to blow your motor up ?....as far as an opti oil dealer I've no clue where to get it here in G'ville...I've always used Pennzoil 2 stroke non synth....never a worry....
Good luck with the bike and hope to speak soon.....

Laters,
Saltybrnot

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
Yay, the china girl is in Florida expected to be here tomorrow, and got an email from Interlube about opti-2 being available at the local ace hardware shops.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you try to break in your new engine with an 80/1 oil ratio, I bet you will quickly have a $100.00 paperweight in your bicycle frame.
These Chinese engines need all the help they can get, especially during break in.
It's your baby, feed it what you will, but I have some serious reservations concerning the outcome.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
Yay, the china girl is in Florida expected to be here tomorrow, and got an email from Interlube about opti-2 being available at the local ace hardware shops.

Very cool !...YAY !.....if you need help with the install just holler....check your private mail here for my #.....I found some synth 2 stroke at autozone but it's not Opti....I'm going to try it and see....one tankfull.....talk soon....

Laters,
Salty.shft.

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
I'm not in a rush to get the engine broken in, but I do have too much time on my hands since I only work about 2 hours a day.
I know these china engines are most likely made from recycled cans and don't have the tolerances of a modern engine so extra care is needed, which is why I'm going for the high grade oil.
I'll start by letting it run at idle for 5 minutes while keeping a close feel and ear for too much heat, cool down and build up from there.
From what I've heard opti-2 is a very low viscosity oil that is "thick as honey in a fridge" and has been designed to run at 100:1 or 1.28oz per gallon, but the single gallon packets are 1.8oz or 71:1.

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
Got about 15 miles in already using 16:1. The store I went to did not have opti-2.
Everything fit perfectly and only had to replace a 13c nut for the cdi mount that was bad.

davearoy

Apr 25, 2009
Lakeland, Florida
Good Luck on your build KID, pls keep me and Salty in the loop as to your build. I like Salty's side carb set up.

Dave
Lakeland, Fl

Having fun in the Sun Riding my MB

kidcrash

Sep 20, 2009
gainesville, fl
New nylock nuts, got rid of the master link, 125 miles to finish the first gallon of non-synthetic 16:1, now running opti-2 at 80:1 and it's purring nicely with 25 miles so far. I can feel a huge difference in the power curve and am about comfortable enough to start doing some real mileage soon.

Salty Gator

Aug 3, 2009
Florida
New nylock nuts, got rid of the master link, 125 miles to finish the first gallon of non-synthetic 16:1, now running opti-2 at 80:1 and it's purring nicely with 25 miles so far. I can feel a huge difference in the power curve and am about comfortable enough to start doing some real mileage soon.
excellent build Kid....looking sweet.....think you might get to Gainesville next weekend for Gator Homecoming ?.....gimme a holler....

Laters,
Saltybrnot