The never attemted..(plz look)

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
Hey,
I wondering if any one has ever attemted to make a generator on the bicycle so when the ba and or front tires spin, it generats electricity to a eletric engine. My rough idea is to put magnets on the tire and frame so that they pass by each other, than the wires go up to the motor and give it energy?
Hows that sound and do you have a better idea?.shft.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
You'll need a battery in between. If you can generate more power than what you use then you made something that people have been trying to make for generations.
At best you'll extend normal battery range which may still not be a bad idea.
When it's parked like when you go to work a solar panel may give it a good trickle charging.
Maybe down the road with technology 150 mile range is possible.
It may already be possible.

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
If you have an electric motor hooked up to drive the wheel, than you already have a generator. A motor and a generator are basically the same thing. There is no energy gain by running a generator off a motor and then hooking the wires together. Because of inefficiency, you actually lose energy.

Think about this; the simplest mechanical equivalent of that concept has no efficiency losses but still buys you nothing. You put a bigger wheel on the back of your bike so it is always pointed downhill. The difference between the two is that it is more obvious why the mechanical implementation does not work. Neither concept works for the same reasons.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
You can't get more out than you put in. If you could all of our energy problems would be solved! If you want more info wiki "Perpetual Motion" and "Laws of Thermodynamics".

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
i thought i could run a wire from the magnets, attach it to the plus side of the battery and then run a wire from the - side to the motor. Would that work? i think so.
all i want to do is increase the mileage.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
sounds like it but you have to remember that when coasting you wont be using power you will be making it. It's the recumbent braking theory. When you kill your drive motor you will still be making current in the generator. Probably not enough to power a bike but enough to extend the range a bit.

The next generation of power bikes may well have something like that as part of the system. For instance on my hub bike I am going to pull a battery trailer so that the bike will handle better not be so top heavy. What if I turned the trailer into a generator by hooking a motor/generator with a diode to one of the wheels. It would turn independently. When the bike pulls the trailer, but would also turn when the bike is coasting down the hill. It would even turn full speed even when the hub motor is at a lesser speed. So in theory I could maybe get a 30% return of energy adding that same amount to the range of the bike.

It's worth a thought. The real problem is a 350 watt motor would have to turn at 2600 rpms to generate 360 watts per minute or whatever the rating is. It most likely would not do that so the return would be much less.

I build my power trailer from scooter tires. I have a scooter tire with a 80 tooth sprocket. The motors have 11 tooth sprockets. So it would probably be a pretty good generator power source. I'll have to give that a try one day...

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I think you lost him on that one Deacon! You have to be our age to remember who Rube Goldberg was. For those who don't know imagine a device filling half a room with about 70 outrageous mechanical linkages, levers, and whatnot. That is how Rube Goldberg would flip a light switch.

laff

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
you could try those bicycle light generators to add some power back to the battery.
simple magnets on a wheel wont.if you bring your charger with you and plug in at gas stations or stores or anywhere theres a soda machine,30 min charging will give you around a mile of riding.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
you could try those bicycle light generators to add some power back to the battery.
simple magnets on a wheel wont.if you bring your charger with you and plug in at gas stations or stores or anywhere theres a soda machine,30 min charging will give you around a mile of riding.
ohhh. the magnets won't work? I think i will try it to see how it works. And maybe try your idea.
An will a 24volt scooter motor w/throttle work? i was gointo get one off line and use it.
usflg

Scotchmo

Jun 23, 2009
Los Osos, California
Here is another way to look at it:

A motor and a generator are basically the same thing. So put one on the front wheel and put one on the back wheel. Hook the wires from the front to the back. Give me a push and awaaaay I go…….darn...nothin.

As discussed in some of the posts, a variation on this idea can actually give you some benefit. You can use a generator, or better yet, the motor already on your electric bike to capture energy that would otherwise have been wasted during braking. I have regenerative braking on both of my electric mopeds and it does help when there is lots of stop and go driving or a long hill that I want to descend slowly. It extends the range some though not as much as you might hope.

Earthman

Mar 24, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Your wheel-driven generator system will use more power than it generates. It will not extend your range, it will decrease it. Consider using solar panels. On sunny days, they'll add energy to your system, but I doubt you'll come anywhere close to breaking even with respect to the amount of energy they generate, vs the amount used to haul them around. If you really want to improve your energy efficiency, put a shroud around you and the bike to reduce the air resistance, which has the biggest negative affect on energy efficiency. Google "power solar cars" for more.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
I have been working on this for a while Fun, Don't let any nay sayer get you down. That is how we fail to change the world by beleiving what everyone else says. You actually can set up a type of generator that will create electricity and not really add much weight. Research Tesla, the man could literaly perform what we still to this day would consider "Magic". The amount of disillusion, and propoganda created to stump the world as to his secrets is rediculous. Certain entities and governments would not allow us this "free energy" Tesla literally pulled electicity out of thin air with no moving parts...That is free energy. A good thing to research is Wimshurst machines and any other form of electro static science.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Simple Magnets on the wheels will not work but small magnets on your spokes with small "gatherer" made of copper wire around an Iron core mounted close to where those magnets pass will generate electricity as it is the same as an electric motor. If done right those would add little weight and could generate a decent amount of juice, not enough to go indefinitely but they can definitely improve your range. This coupled with small solar panels here and there can make an effective range extending solution.