Horn electrical

GoldenMotor.com

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
Hello out there, I have a CH80 2 stroke with a blue, black and white whire coming out of the engine...Anyway my question is simple for some but I'm affraid to connect a wire to the wrong wire and fry something....I bought an old motorcycle or scooter 6V horn off ebay and tested it on a 6v flashlight battery and it works great...Now I know one wire has to go to the white wire but do I go to the blue or black for the other wire...I'm not an electrical guy so any help would be great....Thanks

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
if the horn uses more than .5A, then it'll ground out the engine, and it'll shut off.. most horns operate at 5A or so

redpiper777

Dec 16, 2008
Michigan
yeah its kinda looking that way...I'm gonna give it a try and if it shuts the engine down I'll have to figure out another way.....Im thinking about maybe figuring a way to run the horn through one of those small 6 volt dog collar batteries...but they are kind of expensive...I just dont want one of those larger flaslight 6 volts clamped to the side of the bike...Michigan law says a horn audible to at least 200 feet and I live in a small town so they'll hear me comming whenever I ride....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your horn is probably DC (direct current) and the white wire is AC (alternating current) and it probably will draw enough to kill your engine's ignition anyway. There are all kinds of small batteries less expensive than the dog collar type that can be easily mounted on a bike. Most of them are refered to as SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries and can be purchased at hardware stores, industrial suppliers, even Wally World (Walmart) carries them for battery powered riding toys. You'll need a pushbutton (momentary switch) wired in series (in line) with one of the two wires from the battery to the horn. Hope this helps.
Tom

Last edited:

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
yeah its kinda looking that way...I'm gonna give it a try and if it shuts the engine down I'll have to figure out another way.....Im thinking about maybe figuring a way to run the horn through one of those small 6 volt dog collar batteries...but they are kind of expensive...I just dont want one of those larger flaslight 6 volts clamped to the side of the bike...Michigan law says a horn audible to at least 200 feet and I live in a small town so they'll hear me comming whenever I ride....
cheap hand held marine air horn will pass that requirement

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
get a cordless tool rechargable battery,there small and lightweight.
wallmart: battery = $18 ,recharger = $20,(some times you get a drill,battery,and charger for a cheap package deal.

thats what i use for my head and tail lights on bike,now i dont need to buy another battery for years.

i found a cordless hedge trimmer with battery and 1hr quick charger for $45 at walmart.

Last edited: