oil to fuel ratios and ounces

GoldenMotor.com

hombremosqa

Apr 6, 2009
salt lake city
ok, so just so we are clear, i do apologize for starting another thread about this, but i didnt find this answer in my search

i know that its ok to run the engine at a 24:1 ratio, but i have no idea what that means. the first fuel i mixed, was almost 6.4 ounces of oil to each gallon of fuel i had. so, i short:

I mixed nearly 16 ounces of oil into 2 gallons of gas. i dont know what that figures out to, but it works just fine. ive traveled about 50 miles or so on my bike and i live about 5000' ASL.

so, what does 24:1 translate into in terms of ounces to gallons?.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Calculators and charts are great.

But sometimes you aren't near a PC, so the best number to remember is 128.

There are 128 fluid oz. in a gallon. Just divide 128 by the ratio number you want.

128/24 = 5.33 oz of oil or for example 32:1 is 128/32 = 4 oz of oil

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
Only in America (and some small central American countries) is the 128 rule effective. most other places are metric. The US gallon is rare elsewhere.

Then we have Imperial Gallons. The original ones. 4.5 litres or 10lb of water. The American ones are only 3.7 litres.

See here.

Gallon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

America should really get with the program

And don't start me on "decimal pounds"

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
That thing scares me. It changes value across the form. Make sure you only look at gallons or liters not both after an entry.

Even though we are strange with gallons. It sure seems like the ratios are based on gallons and ounces. 16:1, 32:1 are naturals for US messures. Most "gallon" gas tanks are 1 gal 4 oz gallons so you can mix 32:1. Echo sells oil in 2.6 oz bottles so we don't have to figure out 50:1 which is a close enough.

matt167

May 20, 2009
usa
well, either way, i just mixed it at 24:1 and it still runs.

does anyone know if altitude changes anything?
it does, but it won't change your oil ratio.. altitudes change the required fuel metered ( jetting ), but being you pre mix the oil, the amount of oil stays the same

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
You can also look on the bottle of 2 stroke oil. They say how much to mix to get what ratio... that's what I do :D

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I use a baby bottle. Pretty accurate, really cheap. I started out my first gallon at 8oz for 1 gallon 16:1. Did 7oz my second, 6oz in the 3d gallon. When I switched to synthetic I went to 5oz/gal. I know 4oz/gal 32:1 should be ok but these motors aren't really what you'd call precise. Just my choice.