VeloSolex for $100

GoldenMotor.com

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
There's an old guy (looks 60+) in town here that I got talking to because he has homemade MBs. I've seen 3 different electric ones so far. He says he doesn't want to mess with gas bikes anymore and he has a VeloSolex taking up space. I think he said he bought it in the '70s from someone who bought it for their son while he was in the Korean war, but the son got killed and never came home. It's a 1952 model, I think. He said he would sell it to me for a hundred.

I already have 4 bicycles, one with a motor. Each bike serves a special purpose, so I don't have too many bikes yet. I don't want to collect a bunch of stuff I'm not going to use. But I'd hate to pass up a good deal. If the bike is in decent shape, is it something I should jump on?

I did some searching here and found some comments on velosolexes (soli?). Bikeguy Joe said they were good...and slow. Is the emphasis on the "good" or the "slow"? I would plan on keeping and riding it, not just trying to make a profit. So anybody that has experience with these please share your opinions.

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I have a VeloSolex 3800, I will tell you this it will last longer than you will be alive. They are the most durable thing next to the VW. It can be made to go faster but why! My grandfather gave me the one I have, I guess I will give it to my son. Well worth the money. The new one is made in Hungary I think and is not as good as the original at all, and expensive. Yahoo has a Group for the VeloSolex. Velo Cruze in Salt Lake has all the parts. Have fun, Dave

Echotraveler

Aug 25, 2008
so his giving the bicycle with the motor away or just the motor?

im pretty interested but im so far away....=-(