Question on my gears.

GoldenMotor.com

80ccex

May 20, 2009
CANADA
I opened up the gear box, which revealed two gears and some dried up grease with metal shavings.
Today I cleaned it out, and packed the gears and area with grease and sealed it up.
Was this a bad idea?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
The metal shavings would make me a little nervous, could you tell where it was coming from? How much metal shaving are we talking about? Did you look at the inside of the cover to see if anything was rubbing?

You do not want to "pack" grease in there. A small dab of grease will do. Too much will cause the clutch to slip.

Attachments

80ccex

May 20, 2009
CANADA
The metal shavings would make me a little nervous, could you tell where it was coming from? How much metal shaving are we talking about? Did you look at the inside of the cover to see if anything was rubbing?

You do not want to "pack" grease in there. A small dab of grease will do. Too much will cause the clutch to slip.
There were heavy metal shavings in the dried up grease, but no serious visible wear. I put way more than a dab of grease there. I loaded the whole area and sealed it with a silcone gasket.
Considering it's a couple years old I guess metal shavings are acceptable.
Is it a big deal that the grease is in there? should i bother removing it?