sprocket size

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
It doesn't really matter. Use what you have then move to a smaller for better top speed or bigger for better acceleration. The engine really won't care during breakin.

That said, I probably wouldn't go with anything smaller than a 36T for break in. You don't want to lug the engine down too much during that time.

Tom

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Back when I was running the 2-strokes, I broke in an engine using a 34T (26" wheel). That engine ended up being my best engine by far.

That said, the sprocket likely had nothing to do with it, aside from the fact that I couldn't overrev the engine on flat ground!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Back when I was running the 2-strokes, I broke in an engine using a 34T (26" wheel). That engine ended up being my best engine by far.

That said, the sprocket likely had nothing to do with it, aside from the fact that I couldn't overrev the engine on flat ground!
But how about lugging the engine on any kind of hill with a 34t? Any of the chinas I built used a standard 44t and worked great all-around.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
But how about lugging the engine on any kind of hill with a 34t? Any of the chinas I built used a standard 44t and worked great all-around.
Not going to deny 44T is far superior for hills than my 34T was, but where I lived a 34T made much more sense than a 44T.

I never had problems with minor hills and a 34T. Of course, that's because I had chevrolegs and they make decent torque.
From my experience an HT66 doesn't lug until it drops below ~3K RPM or so under heavy load. With my gearing that was ~16MPH.
I cruised 18-22 all the time with my 34T, it was nice and quiet. YMMV, considering what a difference a pipe can make. I ran stock.

The point is, someone running a 36T or less likely isn't worried about hillclimbing prowess, right? It's more for easy cruising.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Not going to deny 44T is far superior for hills than my 34T was, but where I lived a 34T made much more sense than a 44T.

The point is, someone running a 36T or less likely isn't worried about hillclimbing prowess, right? It's more for easy cruising.
If that's the point ....sure. Unless you live in Arkansas or the middle of the Outback in Australia, you are gonna have some kinda hills ruining your 34t day.......aren't ya?

laff