Purchased a Raw brand 80cc motor recently. Some problems I've run into.

GoldenMotor.com

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Exiled: My Bike is also registered. I had a minor issue where they wanted a certificate, but i just told the lady that I just put a motor on a bicycle. She rolled her eyes and gave me the sticker.

Comfortable: If it didnt snow now, i would be riding, but i am waitin for the brakin period to be over before i make long treks from Boston. You could see me this summer puttin around.

Exiled

Dec 20, 2008
Greater Boston area
Hmmm, according to this PDF from the RMV website it says there are no restrictions on a motorized bicycle that isn't a moped other than needing a valid license in MA. Also, it doesn't specify what a "valid license is" (IE: class M or D).

additionally if you go here:
Public and Private Laws: Browse 107th Congress
and click on 319

it states that any motorized bicycle which fits the following description (which my bike does not) is not subject to state regulations:
(b) For the purpose of this section, the term `low-speed electric
bicycle' means a two- or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable
pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose
maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a
motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20
mph.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
Yeah i just got it registered as a moped, if you look at the registration form, you will see the word (Motorized Bicycle)Moped Registration. Local Cops could care less, but its the staties you have to watch out for. I got mine registered because i have to drive by the barracks to get to work.

Here is the form, http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/20017.pdf

Dont worry about the technicalties no cop will make you measure your displacement. Its $40 for two years its worth it. Make sure you have a serial number on your bike and pad it with extra Zeros if it doesnt add up to 17 digits.

PS. A valid Lisence is anything that is not suspended or revoked, that also includes permits. They just want to make sure you know the rules of the road.

Last edited:

Exiled

Dec 20, 2008
Greater Boston area
I've run into what might be a snag. Maybe you guys can tell me if this is a problem.

I figured out what the "8" bracket is for: holding the muffler in place. I'm wondering how much heat transfers from the muffler to the bracket. The bracket just barely fits under the gear shifting wires. It doesn't interfere with the shifting, nor do I need to adjust the wire tension. One of the wires does however barely touch the bracket.

I'm wondering if the wire is going to melt/snap.

Last edited:

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
I dont think the heat transfer will be an issue. Most of the time you will be moving the wind will cool off the strap. you could always fashion a foil heat shield.

ChuckyT

Dec 30, 2008
Hutchinson Kansas
Hi , I just found this forum while trying to find an instruction manual for a 80cc RAW engine kit I just purchased. I to assumed it came with directions. If anyone can help me by directing me to such information I would appreciate it. Raw did send me a link but it would not open. I think I might be another one who has gotten a RAW deal!

Cookie

Jul 3, 2008
Gurbee has a good manual so dose Spookytooth but as far as the motor goes so far this is one of the best one I have bought to date and I have ordered another one from them, (I have been putting motors on other peoples bikes for about 4 yrs. now and have tried several companies motors). The only problem I had was cleaning the flashing in a couple spots the gaskets are not made out of cereal boxes and the motor is nice and tight although I had to reset the idle screw a little but that is just SOP right now I am going through the break in period on the bike and so far it is SWEET but the true test will come one it is broken in.dnut

Cookie