Stripped screw in sprocket cover...place to get out?

GoldenMotor.com

zeroviral

Oct 20, 2013
Staten Island, NY
Hey my brothers engine has a stripped screw in his sprocket cover, a.k.a. clutch lever cover. I don't have access to a dremil and I don't wanna screw it up any further cause I tried drilling deep into it and it didn't catch with the screwdriver anyway.

called my local machinist and they quoted 150 for it. ugh. we need it off because we won't be able to get the chain on. and we've tried before. its pretty damn impossible.

anyone know any places or if a mechanic can take it out?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
it's a simple fix.

the screw is pretty long, so just drill the head off of it, then take the other 2 bolts out and the cover will come off, then use some vice grips on the threads and unscrew it.

then get another m6x1 bolt and put it back together.

better yet, replace all 3 bolts with socket cap allen head to prevent future problems.

a trick for getting the chain on without removing the cover is to install the clutch lever and cable first, then with the lever locked so the gear spins, feed the chain in from the top.

take and old spoke, a piece of coathanger, or something else with a small "L" bend in it and hook the first link of the chain and pull it out.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You can also tie a string to the first link, feed the string through and pull the chain after it with the clutch disengaged. Of course the string will need to be strong. Cotton twine will probably break.
Thin wire will also work. Simply turning the sprocket usually results in the first link binding up against the cover in front of the sprocket. The string or wire will keep it from doing that.

Whatever, you'll eventually need to get the clutch actuator cover off to lubricate the cam, bucking bar and ball bearing inside.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If it's a worst case and the threads are stripped, you can drill all the way through the top rearmost hole and use a nut and bolt.
The two front holes cannot be drilled all the way through like the rear bolt.