cheapish muffler mod

GoldenMotor.com

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
this is the mod i did (it cheap but works) i used heater hose to move the exaust to the rear and put a small round muffler at back. its quieter but i still hear pops and such, but mostly i hear the pinging and noise that the engine makes itself.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Some of the noise, "popping" is intake noise. A piston ported 2 stroke will allow a certain amount of 'blowback' through the carburetor. I've heard them make more noise than some exhaust systems. Several members have experimented, a couple quite successfully, with an air box that will soften and quiet intake sounds. Just food for thought.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Pretty ingenious.

I've thought about extending off the stock muffler to another muffler in the rear.

If I ever get around to doing it, then I'll remember this as a possibility.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I've seen members use the flex gas line that attaches to the top of a water heater (from home improvement stores) to extend the exhaust.

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
it hasn't melted, and has been ok, except the zip ties have snapped just from being in the sun. kind wondering if i put one more muffler in line if it will quiet the exaust even more.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
Hi, all. i had the normal stock exhaust with my huasheng kit. ie. the curved down pipe and silencer, {muffler] for the last 3 years, pretty quiet, but after many burnt scars on my left leg, i searched for a better solution. the exhaust box. it has taken me three years to see this, on some youtube videos. they went along just as good and seemed more silent, i also wanted the stealth look. To keep the cops at bay. they are hard to find, no supplier lists them. i found one on e bay, off a cement mixer, gxh50 honda, they use them. i cut the short curved pipe, which comes out on the left side, aimed at my left leg. not good, saw it off about 3/4 inch from the box body, and fit an 22mm elbow conduit piece to it, araldited on. aimed it to the right, and down about 45 degrees, looks great. same performance if not more, and very silent also. still get up to 45mph.

Last edited:

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
update, the new huasheng engines, kits show an exaust box, with the pipe coming out to the right hand side of the box, ie short 22mm elbow joint, similar to mine. much neater, but can,t find who sells them, seems you have to buy the whole kit to get one. look. at mbbimports.com.au on youtube for a dem. impressive but the bike has only one peddle gear seems like. SO why do we all have to have the over the top silencer and exaust system we get with the kits, i also saved 2lbs in weight, and easier to fit.