Permatex Copper + exhaust gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
So, right now I'm kinda broke and the exhaust gasket is blown on my bike. Not totally blown out like the last one, but still spits oil out. So could I either remove the gasket completely and use the Permatex or use it to supplement the current blown out gasket? What do you guys think?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
So, right now I'm kinda broke and the exhaust gasket is blown on my bike. Not totally blown out like the last one, but still spits oil out. So could I either remove the gasket completely and use the Permatex or use it to supplement the current blown out gasket? What do you guys think?
Either, Or, I've had good luck both ways. Permatex that's the stuff:)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
The big thing is to let it cure for a full 48 hours, applied it once and drove it after about 13 hours blew right out let it sit 48 she's still holding after 1 year
Looks like that's going to have to be a "friday" project. lol I leave for work on friday afternoons and don't come back until sunday night. that ougta give plenty of time to cure, eh?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Looks like that's going to have to be a "friday" project. lol I leave for work on friday afternoons and don't come back until sunday night. that ougta give plenty of time to cure, eh?
that should do it, goop it on trim it off! good to go. I have had very good luck with it but opinions do very.
and remember to clean everything good with alcohol or acetone, a little bit of oil left and problems occur :)

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
that should do it, goop it on trim it off! good to go. I have had very good luck with it but opinions do very.
and remember to clean everything good with alcohol or acetone, a little bit of oil left and problems occur :)
Sweet. I guess I'll do it next week as I wanted to port out the exhaust flange on the muffler and I need to grab the dremel from work to do that.

Got something to look forward to next week. Just gotta keep cleaning it until I can do it. :D

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Well, I just spray all the crap down with TB cleaner and wipe it. I hate the oily mess. lol. Don't want it running down and getting on my shoes anyhow.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I'm using the copper stuff and a ring of aluminum welding rod as an o-ring seal for my KTM clone pipe, it came with a rubber one all burnt out in there, lol. The copper silicone works great, doesn't burn at all.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
It would be cheaper to buy a new gasket, than buy sealer, and then buy a new gasket anyway. Trying to be cheap always cost more.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
That's true, but at $5 plus shipping, I can't really afford that at the moment.

Besides, Imma try and put some mileage on it, just to prove you wrong now. ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
That's true, but at $5 plus shipping, I can't really afford that at the moment.

Besides, Imma try and put some mileage on it, just to prove you wrong now. ;)
Why not buy some gasket material at an auto supply and cut your own?
A tube of that copper goop costs about the same.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
you could make a gasket out of a old aluminum pie pan. ive also used heavy duty aluminum foil. it worked too
Hmm. Now that's an idea. I think that if I can't salvage the current gasket that's what I'll do: make one out of a pie pan and coat both sides in permatex. :D