Michigan City, Indiana
Yeah! What he said ^ :)
How wouldn't that be an exhaust?!
It's NOT an expansion chamber...
It's NOT a typical baffled muffler...
and I have noticed that much of the
exhaust and muffler talk around here does
seem to center around baffles and chambers
and stingers... but that's not what this is.
Here are a couple different pics I found online
to show exactly what we're talkin' about here.
and I'm not claiming to have made a "performance
exhaust"... I just bent some pipe and tried to make
it look cool. Thats all.

And thanks for the enhanced photo 2door! looks better!!!! :)

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Yeah! What he said ^ :)
How wouldn't that be an exhaust?!
It's NOT an expansion chamber...
It's NOT a typical baffled muffler...
and I have noticed that much of the
exhaust and muffler talk around here does
seem to center around baffles and chambers
and stingers... but that's not what this is.
Here are a couple different pics I found online
to show exactly what we're talkin' about here.
and I'm not claiming to have made a "performance
exhaust"... I just bent some pipe and tried to make
it look cool. Thats all.

And thanks for the enhanced photo 2door! looks better!!!! :)
The cool thing about you exhaust is you can tweak it till you get what you want out of it.

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
yeah... the one thing that I haven't posted on here, because I can't get a picture that isn't blurry, is a little gadget that I made to slip up into the end of the exhaust... it's basicly a thick washer with the 1/4" center hole tapped and 8 small 6-32" drilled and tapped holes around the center hole... this way I can add or remove screws and kind of dial in the back pressure... not sure if it's gonna work or not, but we'll see.

dingodog

Nov 21, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Have you tried it yet? I really hope it runs great but still think that the pipe is a good design for a 4stroker engine.
2stroke engines are a totally different science by themself.

Last edited:

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Have you tried it yet? I really hope it runs great but still think that the pipe is a good design for a 4stroker engine.
2stroke engines are a totally different science by themself.
Unless I'm wrong the only thing that I know that you can't do with a 2 stroke that you can do with a 4 stroke is run it wide open with a straight pipe. This means just a pipe with no flow disrupting in the pipe like holes or baffles. Other than that I think it will not be getting the most horse power out of it.

forrestsmith

May 29, 2012
Cincinnati
Very nice looking Motor Bike! not overly complicated. Thats inspiration for my next project. You can argue if th HT time motors are the best, but I say they they do look the best.

Forrest

Last edited:

headtrama

Jul 8, 2010
california
Just wanted to share the exhaust that I made. I'm not great at taking pics while building stuff but I did ok on this one. the smaller dia. pipe is from an older ladies schwinn cruiser frame and the larger pipe... I think 1 3/4" was $6 from auto zone.
I dont have a tube bender or a torch for heating and bending, so I made several cuts into the pipe about 3/4 the way through them and then bent the pipe into it, then welded and grinded smooth... lots of work, but I needed practice welding anyway.
I never made anything like this before so it's all trial and error... I hope it sounds and performs well. Oh yeah, I didn't take any pics of me stuffing the larger diameter pipe with fiberglass, but I did... I cant believe how much fiberglass I was able to pack in there! And sorry the picture quality sucks, I have to take pics with my crappy phone.
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0389_zps1e7e7c74.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0390_zps522cf928.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0400_zpsf7b72b84.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0399_zps5d43841d.jpg
http://i616.photobucket.com/albums/tt249/3yearslost/IMAG_0401_zpsa43ca40c.jpg
Nice job very clean .

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Ok, back to the exhaust...
I was actually able to start it up for the first time today and let me tell ya... that pipe sounds great!!!!... I'm as surprised as you are :)
No joke... at idle it sounds deep and throaty and when riding it and giving it some gas it just seems to open up and at the same time get a little growl to it... and not near as loud as I thought it was gonna be... actually a little on the quiet side.
I'm in the "break in" stage of the motor so I wasn't reving it up too much, but from the little bit that I rode it, which was around my neighborhood for about 20 minutes, the motor seems to pull with even torque from take off all the way up to around 25-ish mph... I guess, so far so good! I'll keep you posted on more details as the engine breaks in.
brnot

ddesens

Jun 27, 2011
New Port Richey, FL.
I must say I like your bike. Regardless of what people have said about the performance of your muffler, I totally know what you were going for here. I really appreciate the thought and effort that went into the pipe. Those cooling fins are a great touch. They look awesome. The best part of the whole thing is when someone stops you on one of your rides to ask about your bike you can say "I made that."

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
Thanks ddesens, and yeah... This pipe brought out some unexpected debate...lol.
and I understand that a "performance exhaust" would perform better, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how well this one performs :)
I'm glad that there are people out there like yourself that actually get what I'm doing here.
Not that I'm building this for anyone's approval... but it's nice when someone appreciates the work... and I appreciate that!

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
Thanks ddesens, and yeah... This pipe brought out some unexpected debate...lol.
and I understand that a "performance exhaust" would perform better, but I'm pleasantly surprised with how well this one performs :)
I'm glad that there are people out there like yourself that actually get what I'm doing here.
Not that I'm building this for anyone's approval... but it's nice when someone appreciates the work... and I appreciate that!
I always thought it was a first rate exhaust system and we all don't want to squeeze out every last ounce of horse power. For some of us we are happy with it working well with good looks or the looks we are going for. I understand 100% what you are going for and hope to get mine the way I am going for on looks with good performance.

mybike1

Dec 21, 2011
Michigan City, Indiana
A little update...
Even though it was cold outside today... in the teens... I bundled up and rode it around a little bit more, working on the motor break in process. I couldn't help but give it a little more throttle after it warmed up... and you know those big redneck trucks with the exhaust that goes...
Blat ! blat ! blat! blat ! when they let off the gas?... yeah, it does that a little...lol... but only when I go from a higher rpm to fully letting off... if I ease off the gas it's a nice quiet rumble :).... this is sooooo fun... I cant wait for warmer weather.