Help! (Micargi General 1st buld)

GoldenMotor.com

tomcfitz

Aug 27, 2012
Clemson, SC
I am a freshman in college on a fairly limited budget, and I bought a Micargi General and a 66cc two stroke. However, the two stroke doesn't fit into the frame; the frame is too big to attach both mounts, and the bottom tube is too wide to fit the mount. Is there a (relatively) easy and workable way to attach it?

I have very few tools, though I have access to basic tools through the Formula SAE team.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Hello Tom,

These two-stroke engine kits are made for V-frame bikes. The General is not a V-frame and in order to mount it you will need to fabricate mounts to fit your frame.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
There are options though. Doing a search on "micargi general"(the google search at the top brings you back to threads here) brings up other builders bikes. The ones I checked quick were mostly u-bolts with spacers.

SBP makes a nice wide front mount that you could space with either thick washers or bar stock. Can check that out Here.

Or, figure out the space you need to fill and find some flat stock(alum or steel) of the correct thickness and start drilling. One set of holes for the u-bolt(muffler clamp) and another set for mounting to the motor.

Those are sweet looking bikes, keep at it.

gl.

tomcfitz

Aug 27, 2012
Clemson, SC
Oh! that's awesome. The issue then becomes that it won't attach to the seat tube if i use it, because of the angles. Is that a necessary connection?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yes you need to attach to the seat tube. But you can do the same thing with clamps and spacers.

You have to have two solid mounting points to keep the engine from trying to twist under power. Otherwise the chain will never stay put, and can fly off and wreck things and or/lock up in the case and break covers... but anyway :p How you go about it is up to you. But the cleaner looking, the better, eh?

The angle of the engine isn't as crucial as the angle of the carb, they'll run upside-down as long as the carb is level and right-side up :p So, the more level you can keep the carb, the better. There's options for the intake angle too, if its too far of level. you can change the angle of the intake if you can weld. But keep the carb angle in mind while you're figuring out the engine mounts :)