I think I found a 99cc Predator in CA!

GoldenMotor.com

mr. bond

Apr 13, 2011
California
Harbor Freight sells a 1.5" Clear Water Pump with the 99cc Predator engine as the power source.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-clear-water-pump-with-99cc-gas-engine-68328.html

Does anyone know of one of these engines successfully being used as a bicycle motor? I only ask because I bought one to check out what the output shaft looks like. What I discovered was that the shaft has no keyway and is threaded on the outside. The hole in the shaft is also not threaded (but could be).

Is there a way to make this work? Is there a source for regular replacement crankshafts (for a reasonable amount of money)?

I would appreciate any input on the matter!

beltbuckle

Aug 22, 2011
Meridian, ID
that is a different engine. i believe those are lifans. i have one to I got on sale for $65 to see if it would work and decided against it due to the shaft difficulties that would arise. the predator has a leaning cylinder head and overhead valves, the water pump engine is vertical and not OHV.

mr. bond

Apr 13, 2011
California
Click on the link and check it out for yourself. The engine/pump you are thinking about is the 1" clear water pump. I am talking about the 1.5" clear water pump, it has the 99cc predator OHV engine.

Can replacement cranks be found for the 99cc predator?

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Bond, thats a keen eye and a good find. No need to change the crank if it's 5/8 they make a clutch for that size. Jack-shaft it to the rear wheel and your done. I will keep an eye out for a price drop then buy one.

mr. bond

Apr 13, 2011
California
Well therein lies the problem, the output shaft of the water pump motor is non standard, the shaft is threaded on the outside with no keyway to secure a clutch or sprocket to. Is there a drive system that could work with this threaded output shaft? Is there another crank that could work with the 99cc predator?

Thanks!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thanks for finding out about the PTO shaft....I thought that might be the case. I saw them last year when they were $160 and did want to buy one not knowing if the shaft was compatable with our set-ups, thus I built my 212cc.

It is the same as the other 99cc Preds with exception of the shaft. Not sure on the availability of straight 5/8"-16mm shaft and I haven't heard of any aftermarket shafts for the 99. Not sure where you live in Cali, but my suggestion, and what I will do is drive to Yuma AZ. and pick up one or three preds and call it a day.

agk

Oct 2, 2010
Santa Barbara CA
Well therein lies the problem, the output shaft of the water pump motor is non standard, the shaft is threaded on the outside with no keyway to secure a clutch or sprocket to. Is there a drive system that could work with this threaded output shaft? Is there another crank that could work with the 99cc predator?

Thanks!
Get the part number from Harbor Freight for the correct crank shaft and ask them how much. We buy various Predator parts from HF. Some of them are priced pretty cheap while others are a little expensive. It's worth a try. If you can get the correct crank for $25 and you can handle the install, it shouldn't be a big deal.

GoldenSprocket

May 15, 2012
Southern California
Did you ever hear back from HF?

I just got one of those 99cc predator 1.5" water pumps thinking I was clever.... Clearly not the case!

If it is just a crank swap... that doesn't seem so bad.

Though a trip to NV or AZ doesnt seem bad either!