#41 Chain, Very Good

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I just wanted to restate what I found with a Swap from 410 and 415 chain to 41. 41 is totally and completely better.
> It runs quieter
> It is more forgiving about sprocket alignment and wobble.
> It has less sideways bending or flexing.
> It is relatively inexpensive.
> Master links and half links are readily available.
> It has a higher tensile strength than the others.

That pretty much sums it up. Hope this helps someone who is contemplating making this change. Do it, you'll like it.

.wee.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I'd definitely rather run 41 than 415...but I love 410 because it's available in complete halflink form and it's light.
Halflink chains offer finer adjustment and are really smooth on small sprockets, but they are expensive.

I'm not a fan of running a half-link on any regular chain. They stretch different and can increase "chain dance", which accelerates wear.

You have to have your chainline dead-straight to run a 410 on a chinagirl 2-stroke tho! #41 is the way to go :D

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
41 chain from fleet farm is the only chain i run on motorbikes. its cheap enough and i have never broke one, even after i neglected to clean it all winter long and it looked like it was more rust and road salt than chain.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Ummm... 41 vs 410 chain? They are the same thing are they not?

Sure, there is 415, it is wider and stronger but it could have just as easily been called 41.5, but for 410 makers they can easily drop the 0 and call it 41 on their packaging.

There are certainly many kinds of 410 chain, some better for many reasons like stronger connecting pieces and better rollers, personally I like KMC Z410 or their 410 BMX chain. Diamond also makes pretty good chain.

I tried 1/2 link chain briefly, it still sits in a box somewhere, it was just to frustrating to work with for me.

Anyway, unless I am really out of touch 41 and 410 are the same thing.

Len455

Mar 11, 2012
Phoenix az
I went to 41 to replace the crappy chinease junk and i love it. My sprocket is so ou of whack and i runs hreat, nice and quiet to.

Jamesgregory

Nov 22, 2012
Ohio
Hi all
I am wanting to replace the chains on my bike with a better chain. I have been told that a #41 is a good replacement. Here is my question. My bike came with the 415 chain in the kit. Will the #41 Chain work in this motor as a replacement? What if anything needs to be done to make it work. Also if this chain is that good can it be used on the peddle side with no modifications??

Reactions: Jroge1523

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
As I posted above, back in 2012, #41 is the best route when choosing a chain. But, it is not meant to be a band-aid for sprockets that are out of alignment or not installed correctly. If there are wobbles or the sprocket is not installed concentric to the rear hub you're going to have problems with any chain.
Alignment and tension are critical to any roller chain drive system.

Tom

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
As I posted above, back in 2012, #41 is the best route when choosing a chain. But, it is not meant to be a band-aid for sprockets that are out of alignment or not installed correctly. If there are wobbles or the sprocket is not installed concentric to the rear hub you're going to have problems with any chain.
Alignment and tension are critical to any roller chain drive system.

Tom
So true Tom, even though I am not a storefront retail MB business and specifically point out I don't sell MB parts I get calls all the time from people with broken 415 chain and just have to scratch my head.

As far as I am concerned 415 is overkill in most MB cases of a proper build, HD 410 Like Z80 or Diamond works just dandy and far easier to work with, you can break it with a bicycle chain breaker.

You need a near catastrophic drive train failure to break a 415 and if that is the case you have a far more serious problem than just needing new chain.

But to repeat the answer yes #41 chain will fit 415 sprockets.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Hi all
I am wanting to replace the chains on my bike with a better chain. I have been told that a #41 is a good replacement. Here is my question. My bike came with the 415 chain in the kit. Will the #41 Chain work in this motor as a replacement? What if anything needs to be done to make it work. Also if this chain is that good can it be used on the peddle side with no modifications??
You may find the bigger #41 will rub under the clutch cover. This is easily fixed by taking a notch out of the cover with a grinder or dremel for clearance.
Here's a link: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=480220