My hobby car... a sad day

GoldenMotor.com

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Last night... about this very time... My 1995 Sunfire GT was hit in the drivers side rear quarter. Everyone was fine, only damage was to my car.

Sadly though, the age of the car and the damage she received have ended her long and pampered life. I now have a $5000 fully built motor that I will have to place into my other car... A 1972 VW Beetle. The heart of my baby will be transplanted into her older sister. I'll just miss the fun I had in that little car.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A Pontiac Sunfire engine stuffed into a VW Beetle? Now that's pretty interesting!
Alot of custom fab work for the engine mounts, radiator/ fan as well as an adapter plate for the tranny to say the least...... Still, the IRS suspension in the Bug should make things a teeny bit easier compared to a swing axle Bug. More room to fab up the engine mounts.
Shoot, you might even be able to get the Sunfire tranny to fit in place of the VW one...... maby.

Got a welder?

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
There was an auto body worker in Mansfield whose car I used to see all the time. A chopped and channelled VW Super Beetle. Black with Blue flames. His had a Porsche 911 engine with Weber carbs in it. Still sounded like a Beetle, but it was wicked-fast.

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have a complete shop... kinda like a mad scientist LOL

Kennedy engineering makes a kit to bolt the I4 to the VW bellhousing. I'll have to fab a "rear" motor mount and brace. mount the radiator in the front (half radiator from a Honda Civic maybe), May need a drag box to cover the motor. Tranny is good to 200 hp claimed, seen drag bugs putting out more than twice that on a stock trans. I should be making 450 -500 HP easily with my motor and boost combination.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Sry to hear abt the collision and glad no one was hurt.
With a full shop it's not beyond capability to graft a new 1/4 onto the body...
Sawzall and mig welder...
Good luck
rc

hotbug1776

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah, I did the quarter swap and a paint job a couple years ago, same panel actually. I don't know, I'm getting too old for the speed game, so much money in something that you can lose in an instant. I'd rather put the money into comfort and just enjoy the ride.

I'm getting into these little bikes more to keep myself out of trouble with the cars. the Sunfire was quick, but, also not designed to go as fast as mine will.

I'm looking into front engine conversions for VW Beetles and am finding some interesting info. Of course, the said limit of the stock transaxle is 200HP, but, even Mr. Raby (whom I have met) runs more than 200 Hp on them. I just feel the car has had a long and rough life, and needs a rest. so much to think about, so much going on right now. *sigh*

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i have been dreaming of raby's engines for about 10 years.
that & a volksrod body. quarter panels off & a front extension kit.
i figured the price of a new car would be the same price as all of that.
the difference would be that it would last alot longer, i could work on it, & better gas mileage.
besides that it would look awesome & be fast.
i wouldn't be racing either.
being i live with in sound distance of the sebring international raceway, i would probably like to get a speed reading @ least once.
even if i had someone else with more experience do it.