Motorized deaths in Australia

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
As it stands, in Queensland, Australia, internal combustion engines are illegal and there is a limit on electric bikes. And as far as i know its the same Australia wide. Ive gotten away eith riding my 66cc chinagirl bike, and police have seen me but not bothered me. I can only imagine its because they havent been briefed to crack down on them..... yet.

Anyway i was watching the news and they highlighted a motorized bike rider death on the Gold Coast (about an hour from where i live).

Teen killed in motorised bike crash on Gold Coast | Courier Mail

There may have been more deaths of late, im not sure but i came across a couple more, and while its sad, it certainly doesnt help our cause, especially when they arent wearing a helmet

Motorised-pushbike rider dies in crash | Perth Now

And while the following one is somewhat unrelated it certainly doesnt make us look any better

Handcuffed man dies after arrest

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
And our lawmakers have a habit of overeacting..... pitbulls are illegal in Queensland. And a few weeks ago in Victoria there was a pitbull attack on a child, and tragically the child died. And rightfully so the dog was euthanised but they also banned the pitbull breed and set up a taskforce to find and destroy pitbulls that are in the community.

I have 2 pitbulls and they are both the most placid dogs, but they must be loved and not abused. They should really be increasing the fines and jailtime for those that neglect and abuse their pets, and not targeting a breed for a few bad apples.

The pitbull thing is a little unrelated, but just goes to show how our government overreact IMO. Hopefully there isnt a police crackdown on Motorized bikes from these deaths. They are already illegal, the police just need to enforce it and our funs over :-(

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
At first thats what i was led to believe, the i re-read the laws and thought they siad it was illegal.... i just went back and read them and maybe you are right.

Motorised foot scooters and motorised bicycles (Department of Transport and Main Roads)

My confusion was with the wording, seems quite clear once i re-read it but last time i seemed to think they said all internal combustion engines are illegal, and electrics over 200 watt.... but what they said was all engines over 200watt are illegal, both internal combustion and electric.

Well doesnt change the fact that our bikes are over 200 watt therefor illegal, hoping thes deaths dont cause a crackdown.

And thanks for making me go back and relook at the laws, ill feel a little more comfortable riding my bike now.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
It's messed up to measure things by wattage, as the bike itself and the rider's weight have such a large impact on performance.

RockSolid Engines out of Aus. claim to make a 200W china motor, marketed specifically at local australians.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah i have heard good things about rocksolid.... ive got a few old Villiers engines so i plan on saying that they are 1/4hp which is under 200watts, and hope for the best..... i think they actually made 1hp but ill stand by my 1/4hp claim, and they are 98cc but they dont say any limits on engine size, just output..... go ahead and dyno it LOL

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I think if im behaving myself, wearing a helmet and lights (if riding at night) i should be alright..... besides most police just want to take a look.

And to think..... when i thought internal combustion were illegal i contemplated going to the darkside (electric), not that theres anything wrong with that, just not the most budget friendly powerplant, but i can build a petrol Villiers bike for not much money, so even if at the end of the day they dynoed my bike and it was too powerful it wouldnt be the end of the world.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think your villiars approach is a good one along with riding sensibly, obeying traffic laws, wearing a helmet... lights and such. In other words, causing no trouble. It's a plus,I think, if your bike looks very cool and well cared for. I doubt the police will be very diligent about pursuing people like you or your girlfriend. Yes, who's to say what the power output is on an old engine like the Villiars?
My plan for the 98cc Sachs engine I'm using on the Indian Hiawatha is to make up a copper disc which will fit on the flywheel cover with small brass bolts. I have leather working stamps of letters and numbers and will stamp the disc with SACHS and the numbers 49, exactly half of 98. Each side of the engine is 49 CCs. Those crazy Germans with the way they label things you know. I doubt very much anyone will care. The engine is small enough that it could be under 50 CCs, like your villiars. I would think a 5 horse Briggs would be a hard sell. Same for the 6.5 horse Predator engines many are looking at using. How do you pretend it is anything but a monster motor? I guess it depends on you locale and how vigilant the authorities are. I don't expect any trouble at all. If questioned I will play dumb and say the guy I got the motor from said it was 49CC. And the weathered copper disc should help with that bit of fibbing. If there were an easy way for me to have the Indian licensed and insured as a light motorcycle, I would do it. But there isn't, so what is the recourse but deception? Better to enforce traffic laws and bust speeders, reckless drunks instead of blanket laws which just make it harder for folks to get by in a heartless economy. I have no desire to be an outlaw, but I will ride my machines as a freeborn two legged. These are the modern day ponies of old an I wanna ride me pony...
SB

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Lawmakers should first experience 1st hand riding / building these things before passing any judgement. So they can realize that these things should be regulated but not prohibited...

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
What a sweet bike, Harry. It is one of my all time favorites ever from this forum or anywhere. Rolling artwork!
And how does that wee quarter horse run as it stretches it's legs?
SB

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
well, Ned Kelly has made the news here, is Harry gonna be next? :)

Ned had his armor, Harry has got his Villiers...

???
rc