hybred wasp on steroids

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I bought the larger ilfan engine, 99cc I think, but then I decided to put it on my large 26" frame bike with 20" wheels to make it easy to get on. I went out this morning to a church sale and bought a huffy 20" bike for ten bucks Just for the rear wheel of course. This huffy was made during that period when Chinese bikes were just crap no matter what badge they wore.

The frame is okay, probably because they couldn't find a way to cheapen that. but everything else was really garbage. The rear wheel after I cleaned and replaced the bearing worked okay. I pulled the crank because someone had tried to fix it, but stopped. I found a bearing missing from the cage and i expect that was causing a grinding. I replaced it and repacked both of them. I also put on a much larger chain ring to help with the speed. I raised the handlebars, and made a seat extension. I had to replace one of the pedals. Now i have to overpaint the rust on the handlebars and the seat post where I welded it so poorly as you all know I'm apt to do.

When I rode it after half a day's work, I decided that I would put the large four stroke on it. So I attached it to the seat post. I didn't have time to finish the lift and spring mechanism today. That's tomorrow's project.

It is not going to have the buzzing sound it should, and it is four stroke and 3 times as powerful but it will look like a wasp. Short and lightweight, except for the engine which takes up the whole rear of the bike. I really haven't been able to step back and get a good look at it yet. Tomorrow I will have time to do all that. It is supposed to rain all day here so I should be able to finish it.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I need to hook up the throttle. I couldn't handle that governor that came with it. Bike ran away with me lol.. then I need to move the exhaust or divert it at least... and put on a better seat... then I might try to ride it again.

Seeing this picture I doubt that i can fool the cops with this one.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Well with the governor it had no idle and no roar factor and even then when I dropped the motor onto the wheel it wanted to fly. I ran ten feet then stopped it.

I do have all the work done just watching the paint and the Jb weld dry now.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If the piece of metal I jb welded over the outlet fails I'll do the I drilled eight 1/4" holes before I read this. Probably won't make much difference just be a little loud. The heat shield might be necessary, I haven't really done a ride yet.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You were right CB the JB weld gave way after a quarter mile. The good news is that when the bike is moving I don't notice the exhaust at all. Still I took the Wasp down and got some of the silicone and plugged the hole. I'm going to let it sit till tomorrow to try it again.

I added a front brake to this one it doesn't seem to stop as well with the coaster brake as the smaller lighter Wasp.

Ps: that red silicone heat resistant stuff is 8 bucks at advance now. It just went up they said.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah, but if you clean the surface and let it cure it will still be on there when the engine wears out. JB Weld lists the temp max @ 600F, Silicone claims similar, but it will hang in there way over 1000. Get your throttle worked out? The first half inch of the governor travel does little/nothing. I just preload mine so the when you move the throttle it begins to speed up. Un-governed these engines will spin 5500, sustained at this rpm they will bolw oil out the breather unless you modd it with another or bigger return hole and some scotch brite to seperate the oil. So if you ditch the gov. keep and ear to the rpm. Nice looking job on the bike BTW!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Looks GREAT, Deacon!

Really need to get you a comfy seat w/springs !!!
Night and day, on my bike...

Is there any noticeable difference in weight/balance for you?

...Gosh, you're probably not going to be able to wear this one out!

Best
rc

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The balance is not a problem it seems so far. I really haven't gotten it into traffic yet. One thing I did notice and it might just need more tension is that it isnt really much faster on the flat. It is much much better on hills but on the flat it still seems to do about 20mph. And I put a coaster seat with springs. I am going to do more shakeout rides then start making it better usable. Storage and stuff.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Thanks cb.. I got a big ole tube of the stuff. If the first one doesn't take ill just redo it till it does. Yeah I dumped the governor. My governor didn't allow it to idle or rev. It idled way too high for me. I like a bike that when I put it on idle if I forget to left the drive it will shut down. Nice safety feature.

Does the ryobi rev faster than the Ilfan. I feels like it does. About the heat shield i was surprised that once the bike is moving I couldn't even feel the exhaust. I do have all those holes in the side of the muffler taking some of the prssure off it.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah, on my Mongoose and Schwinn the engine is below me in the breeze and the heat and exhaust are constantly blown away, the engine was shrouded by the seat on the recumbent and the shield helped. The Ryobi revs WAY higher than the Lifan, thats why you need a roller in the 1.85-2" range for the Lifan. It has the power for it. If yoy are running 1" you are wasting power and loosing speed. A 2.4" roller wound real tight will show you 38mph. So probably for your hilly area I would recommend a 1.85 or maybe a 2". A 2" wound to 4500 which is not unreasonable would show you 27mph. You dont have to ride that fast but you can if you need to.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
exactly. I think mine is 1,6 or so but I need to check. Also i think my tension is too little. That motor should do fine with more tension on the wheel. I have a lot of experimenting to do.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
So I finally got to ride the bike enough to do some tests. I really do love it as a road bike, I think I like the small wasp better as an urban helper motor bike. The super hornet, as I have decided to name this one, has it all over the smaller lighter wasp for a road bike. But for a bike to ride to the store in an urban environment, the wasp gets the edge.

Even I could lift the wasp and carry it up a flight of stairs and stick it on the balcony. The super hornet would be a drag to carry around like that. Also I have a feeling when the cops stop me on the wasp they are going to laugh and send me on my way, but that hornet with the huge motor strapped on the back, probably not so funny.

The wasp is cute, the hornet is dangerous looking.

I did get the mount stabilized today and the muffler plug CB2 suggested works just fine it seems. The throttle return spring is too tight but it works so for now I'm going to worry about other things.

I rode both the wasp and the Hornet over the same mile test track one after the other. So let me give a pure on road performance evaluation. That hornet bike flat out eats up the hills. It never needs any help except when I first start out and I wouldn't need to do that if I worked the clutch like i would an automobile clutch. It's just easier to get up to four miles an hour or so and drop the engine gently onto the wheel.

The wasp needs help on the steepest of hills and its a good thing to pedal a few turns anytime the bike speed falls enough to do it. Once I get it up to speed it maintains well.Until the next hill. My comment is get the right tool for the job.

ps it is possible to drag start the hornet. Something to think about to save the pull starter. Pull start it in the drive but drag it after it has run a while.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I dont think a Lifan will ever drop start, atleast mine wont, too much compession. If you loose brakes for any reason, just kill the engine and dump the clutch it will stop you! lol. I printed a fairly OEM looking 49cc decal and out it on the blower housing. Be sure to remove the engine info sticker on the housing. Takes about 15min with your thumb nail(wont peal, PITA) If it says 49cc whats a cop gonna do break out a graduated cylinder set and check the CCs?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Good point. It will drag start. The first time it almost threw me off the bike. I didn't realize how much compression there was but it was mostly due to the tension on the spring. Now I can drag it off no problem it is still a little tight but it works fine.

The sticker thing is a good idea. I just might have to design a hornet logo with 49cc

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
You fellas should maybe think twice about putting wonky stickers on your engines... IMO better to have none and tell anyone who asks, "I dunno, it's small!"

Them enforcement types get really bent when someone gives them false information. A bogus sticky is exactly that, IMO...

Except for how they draw their paycheck, them fellers are just the same as you or I... they like mc's and bikes, too! So you can bet they know abt them!

I'd sooner act dumb as I really am and declare it's a used motor I got and supposedly legal. Nothing can be proven there except my own stoopidity, which is pretty EZ ! :)

When the time comes, you can be assured I'll post here how much my foolishness actually costs. lol

...but giving false information is beyond a vehicle code infraction, it's a crime.

...just sayin...

Yah, I was gonna say, rpm against rpm, the 2 popper will probably get more top end. the 4 cycle will have more torque for the hills, limited by slippage.
Need bigger friction roller for the 4 cycle motor.

Sry, I always gotta put in my 2cents when I see sumthin bonkers...
Didn't make any friends over at the HHO Forum when I studied up on that.
The fellas were making Dr Brown's gas by putting an electrical charge to stainless steel plates in an acidic medium. By-product is hexavalent chromium.
Same stuff the Erin Brokovich thingy was about over in Hinckley, CA.
...and these guys change their solution frequently... so there's all this toxic stuff dumped in driveway flowerbeds, or wherever. NOT good!
Lil chillun playin in da dirt and such.... wifey planting poseys...

Best
rc