E-bikes have no soul

GoldenMotor.com

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
Got out the big spoon to stir this one...you see in my infinite wisdom I have come to discover that there is something about a combustible type engine that takes on a life of its own. It breaths,it farts, some even have brains. You fawn over motor after motor looking for just the right one that speaks to you..."take me home daddy" ...Your anticipation at a boiling point as you click the submit order button for your new baby!....It arrives by United Stork Service all bundled up nice and tight in swaddling bubble rap.You carefully unwrap it exposing its shinny head...You hold it in your hands for the first time as a tear rolls down your cheek.You carefully cradle it into its position and hook up its life support as you bring it to life for the very first TIME!!!

E-bikes? I dont know??? just not the same in my world...

being a single guy I enjoy the love/hate relationship an internal combustion engine brings

Okay okay I guess electric motors do have pulses and brains but what good are those with no SOUL!

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Actually if you look close enough, some of the lighting on E-bikes have components made by Seoul Semiconductors.
They don't have Soul. They have Seoul. ;)

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Don't need both. Myself, I enjoy the music my 4-stroke makes through it's flexpipe and Briggs muffler and the nimble handling I get without the weight of batteries or e-hubs. When the fun ends, I just fill up in a minute at a gas station, and then it starts all over again :D

When I want complete stealth or in an area that frowns on motor assist, I just pedal with engine off.

because you need both

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
There's a guy I know who hand built a boat, a steam engine powered launch with beautiful, varnished bright-work, who said just about the same thing about gas powered boats.

According to him, you'd need one of these, lol:

Steam-Powered-Bike1.jpg

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I get my fix mowing my yard !

4 stroke lawn mower and 2 stroke weed wacker. :)

The best thing I like about riding electric bicycles instead of weedwacker bicycles is electric is almost silent.

I can hear cars and trucks coming.

With the weedwacker powered bikes I would be getting into the ride then all the sudden there is a car or truck inches from my side zooming around me.

I have been riding bicycles for years now and can't do the weedwacker sound on the road anymore.

When I lived in Ohio I could ride for much longer times and just see a few cars.

Not in Tampa Bay !

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
I like bicycle riding for the fun ! :)

That is what I am going for !

Not to save the planet or be smug ! :)

And the #1 goal is to get back to the house unsmashed so I can ride again ! ! ! :)

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I think you can build some visceral sound into an e-bike. You can hear the whine of gear reduction on a Cyclone setup. Geared hub motors can also produce some gutsy sounds. Ebikes need not be silent as a submarine.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Today I have both again.. Yesterday I had only the ebike which I built myself as well. So I guess I see the need for both but I do have to admit I have been on the gas bike all day. When they reopen the park where I ride the ebike I will ride it again I'm sure. But if I go to the store for something, I'm sure it will be the gasoline bike I ride. If it is working that day. if not back to the reliable EBike./

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I saw my first ebike go by the house yesterday. I liked it. Made a gentle whirring noise and that was it.

Very cool.

Nah, ebikes have soul, good soul. Nice and quiet.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I find my ebike is less hated by automobile gremlins than the gas one. Drivers tend to cut it more slack since they don't see me in competition with them. I think

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
There's a guy I know who hand built a boat, a steam engine powered launch with beautiful, varnished bright-work, who said just about the same thing about gas powered boats.

According to him, you'd need one of these, lol:

View attachment 37605
I wont that-steam is bad a$$ the first car too go over 100mph was steam powered-electric power plants are steam turbine-SO THERE VOLT HEADS!

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
IMHO, eBikes are cool n all, but they have their place. Just like gas bikes.

Either way, one is better than the other in some ways. elec has more low-end torque, gas is simply more convenient, local guvs might step in on eBikes etc etc
But overall, I feel pump gas is more efficient than any elec. e-ven if KW/h is cheaper than a gallon of gas, the "current" transportation model favors pump gas.
US elec power generation is just as "dirty" and "primitive" as the liquid fuel infrastructure, if not moreso in most places.

Myself, I like how eBike motors whine, but I'd rather hear an engine's song. It's throttle makes better songs than Johnny 5 any day :D

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
IMHO, eBikes are cool n all, but they have their place. Just like gas bikes.

Either way, one is better than the other in some ways. elec has more low-end torque, gas is simply more convenient, local guvs might step in on eBikes etc etc
But overall, I feel pump gas is more efficient than any elec. e-ven if KW/h is cheaper than a gallon of gas, the "current" transportation model favors pump gas.
US elec power generation is just as "dirty" and "primitive" as the liquid fuel infrastructure, if not moreso in most places.

Myself, I like how eBike motors whine, but I'd rather hear an engine's song. It's throttle makes better songs than Johnny 5 any day :D
The instant power of electric rules the 0 to 20 mph range ! :)

Too bad it is so dirty and primitive ! :)

Green peace done got in yo head ? :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is so cool. Really enjoying this thread. Read the title and thought; "here we go" but is a great discussion.

I as yet do not own an ebike but with out a doubt is on my wish list, well a ICE fired one fer now. (with solar trickle charging as well)
I really think they will be major contenders in the not so distant future.

But is one of those things. Gonna love em or not sorta deal.

The opening post made me LOL. Know just what ya mean Brother John!