Newbie questions about first build

GoldenMotor.com

Cornato

Jun 27, 2011
Louisiana
I've been thinking about building a motorized bike and am very enthused by the idea of it. But I've had a few questions about them that I couldn't find scouring the threads here.

Ok, I'm 6 foot 235 pounds and think a 50cc is a little small for me,plus i like to go fast. I don't want to buy a cheap china girl kit and strap it on the bike. I'd rather use the harbour freight 99cc predator 4 stroke. But I don't know what transmission to use because all the ones i've seen are rated for use on 50cc engines. I want to design a kind of board tracker bike, as I like the style of later cafe racers. Board trackers were it's grandpas.

And also do I need to put a carb the motor because it's just meant for general purpose use. And how about lights? Brakes, should I upgrade to disc, or maybe motorcycle style inner hub disc brakes?

I plan on using an old steel cruiser frame as it's gonna be stronger. I also don't really want to spend more than $300, because I might as well buy a motorcycle with that money.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Buying a motor cycle would not be the same. If you haven't road a motor bike you are in fore a real treat,totaly different.
There alot of guys out there that are like you (including me 6'2" 235 ) that are ridding the 50cc China girl kits. They do move right along about 30.
If you snoop you will find that some guys have already used the 99cc with great sucsess,I think useing Comet or Max tourq clutches..........Curt

Cornato

Jun 27, 2011
Louisiana
Ok, thanks. Now I'm wondering is a torque converter the same thing as a transmission? Or just a part of it? I want to use the 99cc because it's better built and cheaper than kit motors, and more powerful. But I want a 2 speed automatic transmission too.

Cornato

Jun 27, 2011
Louisiana
I've been looking at Lifan Honda copy engines that go into pit bikes and dirt bikes. They come from 50cc to 150cc with and 4 speed auto, semi-auto- or manual transmission. I think that would be so easy to just bolt that in, upgrade the chain and rear hub. And that's really it; disc brakes, suspension, etc. will come later. They have a 110cc complete motor(motor, carb, throttle cable, transmission, clutch, electric start, for $200.

That seems great to me. Instead of messing with two strokes, clutches, $300 QMatic whatevers, etc etc etc. Am I right in thinking this or is this cheating?

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Ok, thanks. Now I'm wondering is a torque converter the same thing as a transmission? Or just a part of it? I want to use the 99cc because it's better built and cheaper than kit motors, and more powerful. But I want a 2 speed automatic transmission too.
The torque canverter is a variable speed just like a snowmobil starts out low and changes as the RPM's increase. If I can find the post there is a guy that did a HF build............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I've been looking at Lifan Honda copy engines that go into pit bikes and dirt bikes. They come from 50cc to 150cc with and 4 speed auto, semi-auto- or manual transmission. I think that would be so easy to just bolt that in, upgrade the chain and rear hub. And that's really it; disc brakes, suspension, etc. will come later. They have a 110cc complete motor(motor, carb, throttle cable, transmission, clutch, electric start, for $200.

That seems great to me. Instead of messing with two strokes, clutches, $300 QMatic whatevers, etc etc etc. Am I right in thinking this or is this cheating?
Just thinking you should check what the laws are in your state. Here in MN its 50cc max and 2hp max. Nothing over 30MPH,or you need to get it sertified as a motorcycle.
Second check out the prices of all the indevisual componets plus the motor. Hate to defer you but buying indevisual componets are not chep you end up spending more then what a kit would coast. Unless you can fabercate all your own parts like some of us.
Aside from that yours sounds like a good plan.
I could not find the HF build maybe some one else can find it?

Cornato

Jun 27, 2011
Louisiana
Yeah I either will get a Lifan clone or just a 99cc predator with a max torque clutch and ride that for my first setup. And wtf does HF and HP and all this jargon mean? I need a dictionary. Thanks.

Cornato

Jun 27, 2011
Louisiana
I've been looking at cobra's Indian BTR build and am thinking about snagging a Greyhound and matching it up with a Comet Clutch. All I'm wondering about is powering lights, wheels and brakes. I want to get some heavy duty wheels and disc brakes. I don't care to about exact replica looks. Safety first because I know I'll want to haul %*&.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Battery power for the lights.
Heavy duty wheels arn't cheap, especially set up for disc brakes.
What you want to build, and build with the quality you desire, will cost more than $300.00 in the end. But it will be a "more than $300.00" very well spent.
A motorcycle it will never be, but then a motorcycle cannot compare with these either.
They ride so differently.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yeah I either will get a Lifan clone or just a 99cc predator with a max torque clutch and ride that for my first setup. And wtf does HF and HP and all this jargon mean? I need a dictionary. Thanks.
HF Hardor Fright HP horse power

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Just thinking you should check what the laws are in your state. Here in MN its 50cc max and 2hp max. Nothing over 30MPH,or you need to get it sertified as a motorcycle.
Second check out the prices of all the indevisual componets plus the motor. Hate to defer you but buying indevisual componets are not chep you end up spending more then what a kit would coast. Unless you can fabercate all your own parts like some of us.
Aside from that yours sounds like a good plan.
I could not find the HF build maybe some one else can find it?
Costwise I am just going with trash bike frame from 50's era and flea market lawn mower side shaft Briggs 3hp and centrifugal clutch. If you go with an engine that you can afford with gears, I remember a Black Widow Mini Bike frame with a Hodaka 5 speed 100 cc engine that kicked @^%%#.

Also saw a Rupp Mini Bike with 5 hp engine and a torque converter and I suspect it help you go slow with torque up hills, or just go slow without load and not burn up the clutch shoes, besides doing a high gear when the rpm is up high enough to facilitate that.

Just so you know, I was quite happy for quite a while without a clutch and just push starting in a relatively high (? 8 to 1 gear ratio) for a two hp Briggs Cast Iron 5S. I remember it slow starting, but when given run-up of 100ft, I went up quite a grade in the woods, came off the lip atop the hill and cleared the front wheel 1.5ft and a few inches on the rear wheel, fling forward a few feet as well. These did not have pedals and were not to try to be street legal. There are OHV stickers that some states require for OHV parks and I'm going to try to get that.

Have fun with the build.

Measure Twice