Do your friends think you are crazy?

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
How dare you compare our Holden to a Ford..... lol JK. There is a HUGE rivalry in Australia, you grow up (at least when i did) either a Ford or Holden person. They have a big touring car race here at Bathurst that is very popular. Im a Holden man but i also own a Valiant but i like any nice car, doesnt matter about what badge it has.

But now you mention it they do look a little mustangish. They no longer make the Monaro, but they have redesigned the Commodore and its an improvement, i would have liked to see what the Monaro version would have looked like.....

http://www.motorcarhome.com/wp-cont...2-Holden-VE-Commodore-Front-View-Pictures.jpg

Come to think of it we do make some nice muscle. Holden built a concept car to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 1957 Holden FJ... this is the stock FJ

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/holden-fj-special.JPG

The concept car was a modern take on the classic, much like what they have done with the new Comaro and Challenger. They called the FJ concept car "Effijy" and it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made, even if it is only fibreglass....

Holden Efijy Concept wallpaper # 01 of 96, Front Angle, MY 2005, 800x600

http://www.amcarguide.com/wp-content/gallery/holden-efijy/holden-efijy-concept-original.jpg

Wm Holden

Jun 1, 2011
Ventura California
How dare you compare our Holden to a Ford..... lol JK. There is a HUGE rivalry in Australia, you grow up (at least when i did) either a Ford or Holden person. They have a big touring car race here at Bathurst that is very popular. Im a Holden man but i also own a Valiant but i like any nice car, doesnt matter about what badge it has.

But now you mention it they do look a little mustangish. They no longer make the Monaro, but they have redesigned the Commodore and its an improvement, i would have liked to see what the Monaro version would have looked like.....

http://www.motorcarhome.com/wp-cont...2-Holden-VE-Commodore-Front-View-Pictures.jpg

Come to think of it we do make some nice muscle. Holden built a concept car to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the 1957 Holden FJ... this is the stock FJ

http://www.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/holden-fj-special.JPG

The concept car was a modern take on the classic, much like what they have done with the new Comaro and Challenger. They called the FJ concept car "Effijy" and it is one of the most beautiful cars ever made, even if it is only fibreglass....

Holden Efijy Concept wallpaper # 01 of 96, Front Angle, MY 2005, 800x600

http://www.amcarguide.com/wp-content/gallery/holden-efijy/holden-efijy-concept-original.jpg
I believe the effijy has the same powertrain as my car...LS2 high helix roots style blower...
After I bought the car I dug into the history...since my last name is "Holden" I couldn't help myself...
I still put in the last "Lions on the mount" bathhurst race about once a year just to relive the "5 years in a row" drama ;)

the effy is probably the only car on the planet I would trade in my GTO for...(well...maybe a Veyron too)

"there is a VERY fine line between hobby and obsession"

6cylturbo

May 22, 2011
Indiana
I was just about to post this exact same thing. Of course I have never been accused of being normal but the looks I get usually range from 'crazy old dude' to 'coooool'.

I find all my car guy friends usually are fascinated by it at first but say I look like a Dork riding it. I have a 9 second Buick Grand National (time, money and drive are preventing it from being an 8 sec ride) so these guys appreciate the fabrication work in adapting a motor to a bike.

The non car people think I have absolutely lost my mind to ride it on the same roads as cars around here. Especially since someone just got killed on a bike a few towns away. Someone fell asleep at the whell and crossed the center line. Bike loses to truck every time. My folks have another reason to worry but at least it gives them something to do. I have a red flashing light out back and basically a flashlight attached to handlebars. When I get it tuned better and the weather isn't calling for rain I plan on riding to work and back. I work 3rd shift so it's usually dark or close to it when I leave the house and early am when I leave for home. I plan on wearing a backpack to carry my work lunch and other stuff (tools for breakdown) and using some reflective tape on the straps and back make sure people can see me.

Anybody have any other ideas for safety?

The fun factor and $$ saving factor with diesel being over $4 is too much to resist.

Brian

BTW the Holden/GTO is nice!! LS motors big thumbs up!!

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
That early Holden looks like an early 1949-54 Dodge/Plymouth here in North America. Chevy must have figured that half a world away, no one would notice.

My friends at one time would have told you I was nuts. The saving grace was no one was holding papers with the proof.

Steve.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's what I've noticed; guys, neighbors, fellow hot rodders have all had something snide to say about my bikes when they first saw them. They'd give me heck for riding a bike to a car event and want to know why I was riding a bike and not driving my car. Then neighbors would say something like, "Aren't you a little old for bicycles?"

But...guess how many of them, after a couple of years of seeing me with the bikes finally come around and ask if I'd build them one. One of my most ardent discouragers is a neighbor, a motorcycle guy by the way, and just last week he stopped me on the street in front of his house and wants me to build a bike for his daughter. LOL, see who's getting the last laugh?
These things are like warts; they grow on people.
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I wouldn't build a bike for nobody.

Too much liability. If my creation kills me that's OK.

If someone got hurt on something I built, I would feel bad at the least, financially ruined at worst.

Yeah, people ask me all the time, where did you get that?

I built it. You have to build it yourself.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Good point, Mike. What I didn't say is that I DO NOT build for those people. For the very reasons you've outlined. I will volunteer to help them, give them ideas and steer them to the right engine/bike combo, but I won't take the responsibility of building bikes for folks. Too many hungry lawyers looking for work.

There are two exceptions: I built a bike for my nephew for Christmas and by best old friend who I've known for 30 years. (The nephew's bike is now mine and back in my garage)
Tom

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
some of my old harley bud's don't get it [never will] but i cant ride motorcycles any more. but truth be told i have more fun cruzzin around than ride'en the crazy-ass so. cal freeway's where at 80mph someone's 2 feet behind you in the slow lane thinking [if you call it that] your in their way

6cylturbo

May 22, 2011
Indiana
Here's a fairly decent launch of the transbrake at about 10lbs of boost and 17lbs down the track. I don't remember the speed or time but the 60' was 1.5 or 1.4 sec. Clearly the best part of drag racing is the transbrake launch. Like getting rear ended by the space shuttle. Hold on and when she comes back down hope she's still pointed straight! Adrenaline...

Attachments

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Thats cool as!!!! Are they a straight six? Did they come with a turbo from factory?

You Americans dont have many performance 6 cylinders cars do you? You usually build cars too big for a 6 cylinder.

Im Australian and we had manysmall to medium sized 6 cylinder muscle cars in the 60's, 70's and even through until today....

I have a Holden V6 (actually a rebadged Buick V6 in a 1971 LC Holden Torana) but now have a 304ci Holden V8 to one day go in.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
So what did 'Mad Max' drive. Wasn't that a V8? :)
And it had the strangest blower (supercharger) drive I've ever seen. Just flip a switch and it engaged? Hmmmm, me thinks Hollywood had something to do with that.

Tom

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
That early Holden looks like an early 1949-54 Dodge/Plymouth here in North America. Chevy must have figured that half a world away, no one would notice.

My friends at one time would have told you I was nuts. The saving grace was no one was holding papers with the proof.

Steve.
Looks like a '49 Chevy with a plymouth Grill to me.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
So what did 'Mad Max' drive. Wasn't that a V8? :)
And it had the strangest blower (supercharger) drive I've ever seen. Just flip a switch and it engaged? Hmmmm, me thinks Hollywood had something to do with that.

Tom
Mad Max drove a Ford Flacon XB Hardtop. Yeah you cant turn a blower off and on, the blower was fake. There was a carby under that scoop.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
my shrink has diagnosed me to be delusional, believing that an MB can be better transport than a car or a motorcycle... and that my MB got feelings too... it might be too late for me... not gonna get cured anytime sooner... even with the drugs and electric shock treatments...

Last edited: