Noises at 20 mph- help

GoldenMotor.com

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Ok so I have searched the topic, and couldn't find a solution, when riding my bike, it will run fine from 0-19 but as soon as it hits 20 the engine begins to make a noise, I am not sure if it is the engine, or the chain scraping against the clutch cover, (inside of the cover is grinded to ****, but that was from before due to chain alignment, I THINK I fixed it.)

Whenever I go down hills i have to hold in the clutch for the whole hill, and even on flat land (when i find some) I have to hit the brakes and hold the clutch until it slows under 20. Any suggestions, let me know what pictures would be helpful. Thank you.flg.

Here is a link to the video of when it hits 20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0PE8BkALs

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Maybe you could take a quick video with sound?
That would help to diagnose the type of sound (grinding, squeaking, ringing, squealing)

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Unscrew the clutch cable stay from the engine and add some grease. Some people use a grease gun and fill it up with grease until it starts to ooze from the bearings.
zow  CIMG1449.jpg

Last edited:

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Unscrew the clutch cable stay from the engine and add some grease. Some people use a grease gun and fill it up with grease until it starts to ooze from the bearings.
View attachment 36959
Here is a question, where do I get grease from? There are no home depots in Korea, would I be able to get some from a car mechanic?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
There are no auto parts stores either? Motorcycle shop, maybe?
Maybe you can take the bicycle to a car mechanic, and he can fill it up with grease for you.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I would suspect that over there in Korea, folks are accustomed to being creative and working with what they have available???

Here's a bottom of the barrel suggestion, if you wish...

I have rarely seen a one-piece crank on a bicycle that did not have excess grease packed into the center of the BB. Pull a crank from one of those bikes and grab a bit of that on the end of your finger and force it down in the hole when the stay is removed, as R has said.
Another option??? I have never, ever, seen a front wheel spindle on an automobile that did not have extra grease globbed inside the hub, on a rwd car.
Same thing... grab a bit there.
Most cars have a glob under the grease cap for the front hub !

Any of those will provide far more than you will need for this application.

Good luck
rc

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Yeah, but you need the grease to try and make it over to where the bearings are, at the ends of the crankcase halves.

You're gonna need a whole lot more than a fingerful of grease to accomplish that, that's why some people use a grease gun to fill up the chamber until the grease starts to ooze out of the bearings.

Another alternate, but involves more work, is to remove everything off of the clutch shaft so that you have access to the bearings from the outside, and then you can add the grease directly to the bearings.

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
so i went to 3 mechanics, all of them spoke english, but wouldn't put grease on it, they said they will only put wd40. So i am just going to have to do it myself, but i need to be sure of where to put it, i should put it inside the sprocket correct? where the clutch bar goes?

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Remove the cable stay... it is on top, between the sprocket on the LH side of the engine unit, and where the clutch is on the right side inside the large cover.
Remove that, and pack some grease down in there.

And if you do as some have said, pumping it in 'til it oozes out by the sprocket, there will shortly be grease all over everything, and the clutch may stop functioning. My guess.

I'm thinking about a teaspoon should resolve your problem if it is getting noisy.
Try that amount before deciding to put in more.
rc

Last edited:

Outrunner

Dec 27, 2008
Atlanta, Georgia
I think the problem is an excessive amount of side play of your
chain. Do you have a chain tensioner on it to help the chain alignment?
It looks like the chain gets more violent side to side play the faster you
go. Try adjusting your roller adjuster and retighten your chaun.

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
well after the mechanics put wd40 on it it would sometimes get to 24 without making noises, but sometimes still at 20. i'm afraid if i tighten it it will cause the chain to break, cause that was my problem in the beggining, how tight is right?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
WD-40 is mostly a Stoddard Solvent carrier with only a little bit of lubricant.
If the mechanics you go to think WD-40 is the solution to your problem. better to find a new mechanic.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I'll agree with that one!
Would have been better off pouring in a bit of 30wt engine oil, or better yet, 90wt gear oil.
rc

Horacio

Jun 3, 2011
Korea
Well they are Korean mechanics, they are all about the same. I'll be back in the states by xmas, and hopefully things will be easier.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
As a last resort, you could put a teaspoon of motor oil, like Rustycase said, into the clutch, and then tilt the bike from side to side so that the oil can flow over to both bearings and lubricate them somewhat.