Hard or no-starting with flooding problems

GoldenMotor.com

Toms65

May 10, 2011
Wausau, WI
i've got an 80cc RAW kit and i am having problems getting it started. when it does start i have to have no choke and get it up over 15mph with wide open throttle and keep pedaling for at least 2 blocks. The motors only got 70 miles on it. It was doing fine for the first 4 days, now its damn near impossible to get it to start. When it doesnt start its got gas dripping out of the muffler. I've replaced the plug, cleaned the carb and it seems to be in good working order. Ive tried several different settings on the carb including the e-clip on the needle. I'm at my wits end now, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:-||

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Take a sledge to it...kill it and let corrosion take it back to where it should of stayed.

These things are junk even if they actually start and run for a couple of days.

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
You have to start with the basics, I collect lawn mowers from hard rubbish collections and have been given mowers to repair. I start by removing the plug and adding half to one teaspoon of fuel, put plug back in and see if it will start. You will need to turn fuel tap off and drain carby for this test. If engine starts and runs you know you have spark, of coarse with this small amount of fuel it will only run for two to three seconds. Now work on fuel system. My first motor had a crack in the float which flooded the carby. Don't give up! there are plenty of people here who are willing to help. Good luck!

Regards,
DaveM.

Toms65

May 10, 2011
Wausau, WI
the problem isnt that it wont start its that it starts very hard, and only when it wants to. he float is good, already checked that. I am a mechanic by profession, but this thing is about to get thrown across the yard because its got me so stumped.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
With these cheap things it could be anything. I finally achieved a nice spark by replacing ALL the electronics and still nothing. Now I believe it could be the carb is junk...or a vacuum leak..who knows.

May as well pay more and go 4 stroke...Q-matic with a Honda engine. Cost a lot more, but seems worth it, reliable and no oil mixing.... Last for years too. Oh....pull start.

I'm talking to dad about this....It would be easier for him than these cheap two strokes.

Don't feel bad...tonight I literally smashed it out of the frame lol...then threw it acrossed the yard. It was a sad thing, because we had high hopes for it and it looked cool in the bike.

Oh WELL!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Some people just give up too easy. Anyway, here is a checklist, it may not be complete, but its everything I can think of.

Check ALL electrical connections
Check idle screw adjustment
Check clutch adjustments and clutch pads
Check exhaust mounts
Check for blocked fuel line (it happens)
Drain carburetor
Check carburetor for air leaks
Check head bolts

If the engine is brand new and having this much trouble, it probably means one of two things. Either its a very minor issue that may take awhile to track down, or its some sort of mechanical failure. I have had hard starts and non starts due to the following: ignition wires coming disconnected, vapor lock, clutch needing adjusted, rainy weather, dirty spark plug, flooding, idle screw adjusted wrong, and piston rings burning up. When the piston rings went, the bike still started, but it was very hard to start. Eventually, the bike would not start at all, and that's when I knew I had a serious problem.

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Toms65,
Don't give up, it shows character if you are prepared to stick at it until you sort it out. Once you do and get to ride your MB all previous problems just fall away and quickly forgotten. I know this from experience! Bigbutterbean is right it is probably something very simple. With all the reading I did on this site I realized these motors need help even when new. Both of the motors I have I removed the cylinder/barrel, I washed out the crank and rod and piston with the same two stroke/ petrol mix I was going to run. Check out the picture it is hard to see but that is aluminum swarf floating at the bottom edge. One engine had grease in the oiling hole at the top of the conrod, how long would it take for the grease to come out of the hole or would the conrod bearing fail first. I also lapped the cylinder top gasket area of the barrel and the head gasket surface on a sheet of glass ( an old microwave door glass) using a sheet of wet and dry with kerosine. I have never had issues with leaking head gaskets. I make my own gaskets using the old gaskets as templates. I can keep going on but plenty of people on this site have done it all before. Just do plenty of research.

Regards,
DaveM.

Attachments

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Toms65,
Don't give up, it shows character if you are prepared to stick at it until you sort it out. Once you do and get to ride your MB all previous problems just fall away and quickly forgotten. I know this from experience! Bigbutterbean is right it is probably something very simple. With all the reading I did on this site I realized these motors need help even when new. Both of the motors I have I removed the cylinder/barrel, I washed out the crank and rod and piston with the same two stroke/ petrol mix I was going to run. Check out the picture it is hard to see but that is aluminum swarf floating at the bottom edge. One engine had grease in the oiling hole at the top of the conrod, how long would it take for the grease to come out of the hole or would the conrod bearing fail first. I also lapped the cylinder top gasket area of the barrel and the head gasket surface on a sheet of glass ( an old microwave door glass) using a sheet of wet and dry with kerosine. I have never had issues with leaking head gaskets. I make my own gaskets using the old gaskets as templates. I can keep going on but plenty of people on this site have done it all before. Just do plenty of research.

Regards,
DaveM.
LOL, what a joke.

You'd expect to NOT have to rebuild a new engine lol. My god if it's this much of a hassle it would be wiser to find a good used Yamaha engine and make custom mounts to get it in the bike. Why bother with a Chinese crap if it's going to be this much trouble?

Stupidity if you ask me....not character.

DaveM

Aug 22, 2010
Adelaide, Australia
Eric2.0,
I see you have made 156 posts, if you truly feel the way you do, why are you still here? I truly thought I or someone else could help Toms65 with his problem. I am not a mechanic but have had years of experience with two strokes, a single cylinder two stroke is about as simple as an engine comes. So they should be very easy to get going. I was recently given a mower that has not been running for three and a half years I had it running within an hour. When I bought my first motor I researched this site, did you do this? I have made pages of notes and quickly realized these motor kits are extremely cheap and because of this some of them may not be quite perfect. I accepted this and did more research and tried to head off as many problems as I could. I made new head studs, engine mount studs, new exhaust studs and inlet manifold studs, so I have never broken a stud in either of my motors! Again I lapped the head,barrel and manifold gasket surfaces to make sure they were flat. I made my own gaskets and used a quality gasket cement/sealer. I have never had a gasket leak or an air leak! This for me has been part of the fun, did I need to do this? probably not but I wanted to bolt the motor in the frame and for it to stay there for as long as possible. I have many trouble free miles/kilometers on both my motors and am very happy. I am sure there are many people here that feel the same. Eric2.0, good luck with the future I hope you find something that makes you happy! but please negativity is just not needed here.

Regards,
DaveM.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Eric, it seems that you are just here to talk crap. Right now, you are not only disrespecting the members who have subscribed to this thread, but the entire motor bicycling community. I for one really don't appreciate the comments you are making. And I will tell you something. When I first got into bicycle engines, I had no idea what I was doing. I had no mechanical knowledge or experience whatsoever. Did I have some trial and error? Perhaps a little more than my share. But I stuck at it and learned along the way. I got my first bike running and the engine lasted a year. It broke down because I was using the wrong oil. The point is, if you have the chops to stick at something, you can make it work. If you don't have the chops to get a two stroke running, then you have no business trying to build a four stroke. Instead of wasting $200, you will waste $600. So if you don't have anything positive to contribute, then please leave our community.

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
Bah, they are freakin junk and I will no longer support the Chinese labor force and get a ****ty product that praticaly needs to be refurbished from day one.
Pull the head, jug and flatten them, new gaskets, studs, carb might be good might not and the way it attaches to the manifold totally sucks.

Yeah I'll leave.... I don't want anything else to do with these pieces of ****....thx.