on the horns of a dilemma

GoldenMotor.com

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
strange story here. 11 months ago i got an E-mail from a guy wanting 2 custom bikes built for him. after a few emails we talked on the phone, sorted out just what he wanted and made the deal. he paid for both bikes in full up front. during the build he emailed for up dates and pics almost everyday, the guy was really excited about the bikes. well, when the build ways done i sent him finshed pics and asked for his address for delivery so i could set shiping charges. he said he loved the bikes, but never gave me an address. then i stoped hereing from him, i've been emailing him for months now and no replies.

so here i am with his money and his bikes. my email is still the same, phone # too, plus my web site is still up with contact info.

i'm at a loss for what to do. i'm thinking of selling the bikes and putting the money back for when ever he restarts contact with me. there setting here in the way and i fear they could become damaged. how long should i wait before he is consider forfit and lost.

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
most mechanic liens go for 30 days, as he has paid for the bikes I would send notice and post a notice in the paper for another 30 days, after that sale them. Hold the proceeds for a while. check your state laws though.

God forbid he has been in an accident or died, his estate would be the beneficiary then.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
He is probably in jail . Be careful ! I think that 60 days and your email records would be enough to justify keeping the money and selling the bikes . Personally I would go 90 days but I have the room for storage . .... D.J.

spacey

May 7, 2011
springfield, oh.
Today ! Get paid and try to find a safe place to store his bikes ( hang em' on the wall w/plexi frames ) . 90 days is fare so you've been a "nice guy" . I had a client get busted for running grow houses. Cost me the crew's wages and killed a three year restoration . It worked out in the end but it was six months before I could even call him on the phone . Just say'n, ya' never know .

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Cam,
Spend a couple of his bucks and consult a lawyer, just to be sure. Free legal advice isn't always the best way to go. And, get it IN WRITING! It's called, CYA.
Tom

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i'm hoping to just sell the bikes and have his money waiting for him when ever he revives. on the plus side there good advertizment setting in the shop for everyone to see. i just don't want to hear a big crash and find his bikes smashed.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I concur that he's probably in jail, (or maybe worse dead?) :(
In this situation, I think the best thing to do would be to sell the bikes for the most you can & refund his money if he ever contacts you. (If he was indeed in jail for that much time?, he will probably need the money more than the bikes!) ;)