MM billet intake compatible with NT carb?

GoldenMotor.com

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
Hey guys,

Well, I went to order the Manic Mechanic billet intake from Pirate Cycles and I realized that the CNS carb is mentioned in the product description, but nowhere does it mention the NT carb. Does anyone know if the billet intake will work with the new NT carbs? I e-mailed the shop, but I think they are pretty busy. . . haven't gotten a reply yet.

Cheers.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hey guys,

Well, I went to order the Manic Mechanic billet intake from Pirate Cycles and I realized that the CNS carb is mentioned in the product description, but nowhere does it mention the NT carb. Does anyone know if the billet intake will work with the new NT carbs? I e-mailed the shop, but I think they are pretty busy. . . haven't gotten a reply yet.

Cheers.
New NT carb?
what do you mean by new NT carb? do you have a link?

This intake works with any of the NT carbs or so called Speed carbs

PS: These short straight intakes do make your motor perform better.

Last edited:

Frickard

Feb 27, 2011
La Mirada, CA
New NT carb?
what do you mean by new NT carb? do you have a link?
Sorry, didn't mean to imply a new NT carb. I thought the NT replaced the CNS, which made it "newer." I was just referring to the NT carb :) Thanks for the info! I'm definitely ordering one of these on Monday :)

insomniacshotrods

Sep 26, 2008
I love the looks of these intakes ,but what about the angle of the carburetor? It will be setting at an extreme angle. Do they run alright like this? I thought they had to be sitting level to work the best.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I love the looks of these intakes ,but what about the angle of the carburetor? It will be setting at an extreme angle. Do they run alright like this? I thought they had to be sitting level to work the best.
In real life the MM straight intakes work fine at a reasonable angle.
They do not need to be sitting level

Straight MM intake on the #71 Huskie Felt at an angle.
I have ridden the bike and it runs great, smooth and powerful.

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
Definitely going to order one tomorrow, my standard intake is leaking a little. This will fix that. Was wondering(before I saw this post) if the intake fit a NT carb. YAY!

kojak

Feb 2, 2011
I did cut down that bolt in order to use the CNS intake; it still wouldn't clear with the speed carb. The bowl of the carb was hitting the clutch cable, not the bolt.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
i just had the exact same problem 30 min ago ! i wanted to mount my big ol cns carb up to the shorty aluminum intake and the float bowl hit the adjustment screw. i had to pull it out and dremal off half the adjustment bolt threads with a cut off wheel and tighten it all the way down for the carb to clear with the intake.

all is well now though. nice easy 10 min job !

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The problem with that "fix" is that it throws the cable alignment with the clutch arm way off. The cable will angle upward which will put drag/wear on it where it exits the guide.

A better route would be to use a different method of attaching the cable at the engine end and plug the hole where the original guide went. A piece of metal that spans the top two clutch cover screws and a welded noodle works better anyway than the factory cable guide and you can fabricate it to fit where you want it.

Tom

Attachments

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
The problem with that "fix" is that it throws the cable alignment with the clutch arm way off. The cable will angle upward which will put drag/wear on it where it exits the guide.

A better route would be to use a different method of attaching the cable at the engine end and plug the hole where the original guide went. A piece of metal that spans the top two clutch cover screws and a welded noodle works better anyway than the factory cable guide and you can fabricate it to fit where you want it.

Tom
true ... but mine is not that far off that its stressing the cable or at too much of an angle, i omnly cut 1/2 in off the bolt and set it down 1/2in lower, it works pretttty good nut a lil bit harder to pull cause of the angle just nothing too bad.

i may go the other route like you said and make a wheel and bearing adapter bolted on the case and use the old mount hole for a grease fitting ! making greasing up the clutch arm at overhual intrvals mutch easyer! would only have to squeeze some in rather than pull it appart and grease it .

that noodle idea is elegantly simmple !!!!! and it looks good ! i bet it would look nicer if the plate were painted blck like ur motor and the noodle remained crome, u should paint up your case to match the jug and head and leave the covers chrome, it would look boss !!!

Last edited:

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
I didn't say it wouldn't "work". I said it puts unnecessary stress and drag on the cable. And that's an unquestionable fact.

Tom
i agree with you but it is an easy fix to do this and most people use it with the extra stress and all with no problems whats so ever , like you said though i wouldnt be suprized when and if my cable does break but so far so good. i do plan on doing the noodle mod ! i like that a lot and its an easy weld for my fiance so she wont mind. that noodle mod looks cool as heck !