Won't start now!!

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Now I'm cranky......the pig won't even fire.....got spark (although it doesn't seem that strong), got fuel....but it seems to all of a sudden blow massive fuel that comes out the exhaust (I have the carb all set up OK as far as I know)...really frustrating.........any ideas? (I do think it's just flooded completely)

Help.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
turn off the gas tank valve and pull the plug pedal it to clear the engine and hold the throttle wide open while doing this.spray off the plug with b-12 carb cleaner or brake clean make sure the plug is gaped @.020 test your ignition with plug laying on the head to make sure you got good spark then try to fire up the bike first with fuel off then with it on. If all is right it will start.
your kill switch I'd disconnect until you get it to run. See if the thing I told you about help . let us know.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
mine will not start the first try and full choke just kills it anytime. Half choke and second try it will usually fire. Mine is temperamental to start but after that first start, it will start right up for the rest of the day.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Spark Plug Gap

A new plug (NGK) goes a long way on these bikes. The original plugs are carp.
turn off the gas tank valve and pull the plug pedal it to clear the engine and hold the throttle wide open while doing this.spray off the plug with b-12 carb cleaner or brake clean make sure the plug is gaped @.020
Yeah it had new a NEW B5HS plug, but I gap them 0.030"-0.032" per the instructions. You guys use 0.020"?????

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Re: Spark Plug Gap

Yea too much gap .020 or if you want .017 works cold weather does make them hateful I just started using the tickler button hold down for 6 sec, and full choke and TADA it starts. But each one has it's own personality you have to get to know them. Rubbing it on its tank and talking softly helps.
Norman

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
well we all know how good them instructions are. i think i did mine at .024 but can't remember for sure

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I haven't even gapped mine, just stick it in and it runs more or less. I think I'll go down and gap it just for fun. By the way I bought a new plug and wire today but haven't installed them. Now all i could get was the champion interchange whatever it is. So how bad is a Champion plug.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I think Champions are good I fly behind them and so far no problems and use them in most of my toys and at work. I don't even have problems with the plug that comes with the engine kit. I do modify them and the post is on this forum and I run less gap .020 to .017 or what ever will make it run the best I cheat, plug gap is only a recommended thing ,and I don't play by the rules all the time.
Norman

Mopedamauter79

Mar 31, 2008
Ottawa
How do you even "gap" a spark plug ?

Mopedamauter79 Did you look at the posts on plug gapping the pictures will tel you how so now you will know if you look.
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
get a gap tool at any automotive store and make sure the gap at the bottom of the spark plug is at the gap you wish to run

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
For checking spark I use a spark plug tester, I find it to be so much easier. You can even make your own using a good spare plug. Just get some aligator clips and solder on to it.

Attachments