Revitalizing a Worn Out Engine After 10K

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hi to All on the Forum,

I have read that these 2-cycle engines have a lifespan of about 10,000 miles. (Not counting wear items such as clutch, spark plug, chain, etc.)
How bad is the engine at that point? Are the lower bearings and such in the bottom end at that mileage pretty much shot?
Or, can you just pop on a new piston, rings and cylinder, do a new break-in period and go for another 10K?
Anyone here on the forum have an engine that is approaching 10K? How is the engine holding up?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
It's debatable given the comparative expenses & effort, I'd be tempted to replace the entire motor if it was gettin' all worn out, tho I do like tinkering on them... Still, one of my bikes has well over six thousand miles on it and is showing no signs of trouble, not even the clutch so I guess it'd be a judgment call depending on sentimental value lol

There's a random element in "quality" control to be sure - but if it's set up right, you've got a good 'un and makes it fer the first few tho, I think that it's mostly about preventative maintenance & care when discussing longevity...