gas leaking from clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
hey, i think i may have gas leaking from my clutch area... here is a pic of the leak. it leaks after i start the engine. i rode this morning for 5 miles and when i got to work i noticed i had gas on my right leg and gas down the clutch box and on the bottom of the bike... any ideas how i can fix this or even what is causing thing?

Attachments

charles.paskell

Feb 25, 2010
NC
Eeerrr......nice paint job. it is almost impossible for your clutch to be leaking gas id say its your carb that is leaking tighten both the screws that hold the carb bowl on also make sure that the screw in the bottom of the bowl is tight

420neff

Jun 16, 2010
Simi Valley
hey, i think i may have gas leaking from my clutch area... here is a pic of the leak. it leaks after i start the engine. i rode this morning for 5 miles and when i got to work i noticed i had gas on my right leg and gas down the clutch box and on the bottom of the bike... any ideas how i can fix this or even what is causing thing?
After looking closely at your photo I wold say that it is your base gasket between the bottom of the jug and the crankcase. I had the same problem
(c)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Eeerrr......nice paint job. it is almost impossible for your clutch to be leaking gas id say its your carb that is leaking tighten both the screws that hold the carb bowl on also make sure that the screw in the bottom of the bowl is tight

Also, before you do the above mentioned...remove the float bowl, and make sure there isn't any crud in the inlet/float valve that would let fuel seep by.

Check the fuel inlet (screws in) and the "tickler" for leaking as well.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
clean it off and make a run (possibly short even )and look for fresh signs of the leak

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
I vote cylinder base gasket. These things have a tendency to splatter all over the place, and if he's moving forward at 25mph then the carbs gonna get hit.

Just pulled apart a motor I thought had a bad crankcase gasket because the entire front end (exhaust side) of the motor was soaked, but the exhaust gasket was fine. Pulled off the magneto cover to find a soaking-wet coil. Ripped off the magnet an the seal came out with it. Guessing that the spinning of the magnet litterally shot the gas out where the wires run through the case (there was no seal here).

It's almost like watching CSI.

EDIT: I'm dying to know what this bike looks like as a whole.

corduroylion

Sep 25, 2008
norcal
ok, so i took the carb off and cleaned it and put some permatex to seal it up in case of leaks and fired her up and road her around the block watching the engine while i did so. same leak... its leaking out the bottom of the clutch case and out the two screw holes on the right of the clutch case????? so whats the diagnosis doc? ((sorry i never have been able to spell, well, i can spell cus words pretty well though...))

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Maybe one of the seals blew. Did you actually open the cover and see if it was wet inside? There shouldn't be any fluids in it. Just totally dry.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia
Maybe one of the seals blew. Did you actually open the cover and see if it was wet inside? There shouldn't be any fluids in it. Just totally dry.
This exact thing hapened to me the clutch cover and the clutch are covered in oil making the clutch slip, and would explain the vaccume leak I cant track down.