Rear tire locks up

GoldenMotor.com

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Hey guys, i got a problem..... Engine starts with pedal assist. I have to pedal pretty damn fast in order for the engine to start, but when i engage the cluth to start , my back tire locks up for a second and skids before it starts every time, causing me to wobble and almost crash. Not the best thing when on rocks! Is there anything I can do to fix this?.bld.

Attachments

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that means you have a lot of compression, which is a good thing. you'll probably have to change your riding style just for starting it, like keep pedaling hard and keep your weight back.

my bike does that sometimes if i'm coasting fast and drop the clutch, but i'm used to it.

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
It does the same on pavement.....The clutch is a thumb release, ill try and keep pedaling and see if that makes a differance. I guess I could afford to put a few pounds on, only about 120

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
if it's too much for you, you could try adding another base gasket or another head gasket. these would decrease your compression, but it would also make you go slower (theoretically.)

i would just keep riding it and learn to deal with it. choppers seem hard to pedal anyways...

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Which bike are you having this problem with? You posted photos of two different bikes. What tooth count rear sprockets are you using. Both appear to be very large. The larger the sprocket the lower your gear ratio. Lower gears should decrease the problem you're having. How fast are you going when you release the clutch. 10 mph is a good rule of thumb speed. Try gradually engaging the clutch instead of just releasing it quickly.
Tom

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Im talking about the chopper, but both have the 50 tooth sprockets on. the 44 tooth rubs against the drum brake that came with the kit, so i just put the 50 on. The brake they supplied is a piece of crap and doesnt work but its all i have for the back tire. Im usually goin pretty quick, atleast 10.

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
Yea, its a Hog Rider frame. Not made for an engine, so had to modify a couple things. The hardest was mounting the carb on the side of the frame. I am pretty lucky that the gas tank fit where it is, and that the engine has enough suction to keep the fuel flowing

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
that chopper has to be one of the most interesting frames ive seen in a long time....nice build.....im thinking that 50 tooth gear is actually working against you....remember when you start the gear ratio is backwards so the larger gear is actually working against you a bit....you being so light you may want to try a smaller gear....way cool bike though

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
thanks for the advice and complement! took work but it was deffinitly well worth it. Im going to put the 44 tooth on tomorrow and se if it makes a difference in speed and ease of starting. I was riding around today and it wasnt to bad if i kept pedaling while dropping the clutch.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You have the slant head on there, I have read that the straight head has less compression than the slant head, maybe you could try that, the lesser compression would make it easier to start while pedaling.

Derks420

May 30, 2010
Central New Jersey
That might make it eaiser, but the problem is that a straight head wouldnt fit. Thanks for the advice tho! Another note, I didnt bother to try the 44 tooth right now, because like i said, it interfers with the brake. Its not to hard to start if i keep pedaling.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Try gradually engaging the clutch instead of just releasing it quickly.
Tom
I'm not sure he can, it's not a lever it's a 3-speed thumb shifter thing.
My 66cc wants to do the same thing if I'm not pedaling.
Just time your release with your right foots downward pedal to get the motor over the initial bump, once it starts to turn the bike will help.