In Frame Gas Tank (Moon Eyes)

GoldenMotor.com

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Purchased this Dyno "Moon Eyes" bike about a month ago, just something about the lines on this frame that I really like. Well the tank is almost done and just wanted to give a preview of how it is turning out.

The tank was all spot welded with a tig and finshed up with brazing rod (The tig just kills me on this 18g. metal)

it will be bolted in from the bottom since I welded some acorn nuts from the inside.

Not sure if I am going to keep that OG paint...it does look kinda nice

Attachments

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Re: In Frame Gas Tank (Moon Eyes)Update

Completed the tank and and will leave it raw with a clear coat. I have decided to strip the frame and build a rat rod style bike this time. Check the posted pictures on the “rat rod” section.

culvercityclassic

Attachments

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
way back when in '67, or so- I was just 13-

and had a Rupp mini-bike with a 2.5 Briggs and Stratten, I had a white half helmet and goggles I think I got at Guaranty Auto in the Devington Shopping cEnter,

and I had two moon eyes like that on the back of it-

I still have a photo someplace I think- I'll post if I can find-

I had the Rupp and ran it under a double arrow road sign- big yellow siogn with big black double arrow-

I had my STP red racing jacket neck pulled up over my head and the helmet was on the ground with the moon eyes looking up, like my head didn't clear the sign.

it's funny- but you have o see it.

veniceverges

Jun 1, 2009
Venice, CA
Hey CulverCityClassics, nice work on the tank. I;m building my own right now. Where did you find the gas cap/bung setup. I'm just down the street in Venice.

jalexl

Oct 29, 2008
Los Angeles
HEY CCC,

I met you the other day at the Bikerowave yard sale in Mar Vista. I am interested in making a gas tank for the frame. You mentioned to get a hold of you here first. Any suggestions. BTW, i thought yoour bike looked real nice.. Good job on it.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Thanks for the compliment on the bike. Let me know what kind of tank style you are looking for. I can help you out or I can give you some options and make it for you.

A group of us ride almost every weekend, if you have a running bike join us.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
I used a sink drain nut and heated a piece of lexan and set it on top of a light bulb to dome it. I ground it down the lexan to snuggly fit inside the nut. I drilled a tiny hole in the lexan and used the filler cap assembly out of an old snow blower. It works great and you can make your own emblem and encase it in resin for a cool custom cap.

Attachments

Last edited:

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
Your tank pix are a great insperation to this old Tin-knocker! I am now reir'n to go with one for a '61 Schwinn twin straight bar frame that's here waiting for build.
Wondered what you came up with for a leak proof nutcert in the bottem for tank mounting.
Thank you for shareing.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
shearbf

I welded on the inside some acorn nuts... 1/4 20... then I sealed the completed tank with "Tank Sealer" made by Por-15. Left the tank raw on the outside and clear coated it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I really am likin' that tank. Out of curiousity, would you possibly be interested in making a few bucks. In other words: if there were a way I could talk you into making a tank to fit my cruiser, how much do you think you'd ask for it? (Would you be interested at all?)