Running REALLY rich.....which way...

GoldenMotor.com

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
OK, I'm working on a new bike and having the same problem as Pablo. My bike is flooding, so if I'm understanding what has been said here, I need to move the clip up a notch, right now it is in the stock 2nd from top position. I had a heck of a time starting the bike and when it did it was blowing smoke like I have never seen these bikes blow in the past. I'm looking forward to getting this one running good and putting a few miles on it before it goes away. Please let me know if I'm getting this right or not, thanks...Kelly

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
That is right, move clip up. That way the pin is pushed in more therefore less gas. Get it? I know it is kind of confuseing in the heat of battle. Anytime my bike acts up I freak!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You shouldnt have to go to the top position. I wonder if there isn't a different problem. Needle size or float stuck something like that but someone else will have to help you there. Im not that smart.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah my original problem was in Jan 08 - my needle was barely tapered - but the above problem happened when I was foolish enough to follow the Chinaredlightgirl instructions.....bottom line: go back to the basics before messing with clip position.

nogoodnic

Jan 29, 2008
Shelby MI
forum1.freakbikenation.com
Well I took it apart and the clip was in fact in the third position and I moved it up to the second. This made starting much easier but when I turned the choke off it would run for about 30 seconds and seemingly runs out of gas. I did this three times. So far I've built up seven bikes I think and never had one give me fits like this one. I'm sure its somthing simple that I'm missing but right now I'm feeling like a FNG...Kelly

PS The taper looks fine, its about 45 degrees all the way around the point. Thanks everyone for the help.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is also the most common problem with the little devil. The choke thing is a dead give away. The choke cuts out the air making it the right mix when you turn off the choke you are getting too much air. that means a leak probably at the carburetor manifold connection. Make sure you have a good seal there.