First build complete....pics

GoldenMotor.com

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Just finished my first build. Had a lot of issues with everything. Felt like I di everything twice. But now I know how to do it all so that's cool. I initially wanted to build this on my Electra but I would have had to do some frame cutting and welding so I kinda sissied out. Now in kinda bummed I put it in such a dinky bike. It's just a huffy from walmart or something. I got it off craigslist for eighty bucks. It's pretty much brand new. New oil line and in-line filter after having some issues. Had the sprocket machined on a lathe so it's perfect. Cleaned the tank really really good and tht turned out well. I built my own custom mount using two sheets of nail plates. I widened the holes for the 5/16th bolts and just made new holes for the engine bolts. Also made a custom exhaust strap. Everyrthing came out well. It's all sturdy. Not really any shaking or vibration(I put a good dampened on all three frame mounts). I am having chain tension issues but I got that somewht taken care of. I took out another link but I still need a new chain idler(broke on test run). Anyway here she is. Thanks to everyone who helped on this forum. Next build is either my Electra or I've been scoping out that new felt mp model. Oh schnap!

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I agree,that is a good lookin' bike!,,,,If the chain is clearing the frame you might try a 1/2 link for chain length

kla63

Jul 15, 2009
NEW HAMSHIRE
Just finished my first build. Had a lot of issues with everything. Felt like I di everything twice. But now I know how to do it all so that's cool. I initially wanted to build this on my Electra but I would have had to do some frame cutting and welding so I kinda sissied out. Now in kinda bummed I put it in such a dinky bike. It's just a huffy from walmart or something. I got it off craigslist for eighty bucks. It's pretty much brand new. New oil line and in-line filter after having some issues. Had the sprocket machined on a lathe so it's perfect. Cleaned the tank really really good and tht turned out well. I built my own custom mount using two sheets of nail plates. I widened the holes for the 5/16th bolts and just made new holes for the engine bolts. Also made a custom exhaust strap. Everyrthing came out well. It's all sturdy. Not really any shaking or vibration(I put a good dampened on all three frame mounts). I am having chain tension issues but I got that somewht taken care of. I took out another link but I still need a new chain idler(broke on test run). Anyway here she is. Thanks to everyone who helped on this forum. Next build is either my Electra or I've been scoping out that new felt mp model. Oh schnap!

try a skate bourd wheel just make a grove in the middle they work awsome!!!!!dnut

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
You just made my day! That's an awesome idea. And it'll roll so much faster than the stock one. How do you groove out the wheel?

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Thanks Kla63 for the idea. Too hard to carve
out the wheel so I just used the bearings on the bolt with some washers then put that black metal piece that came with the kit over the bearings and chain so it's surrounded by a track. It's not coming off this time. Here's a pic.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
It's a "nel lusso" huffy. Thought I hit the jackpot for eighty bucks but then found it on yahoo that it's from walmart. Damn you walmart! It looks nice but the product shows it's cheapness. Well I been tinkering here and there and she's riding a lot better now. Built a new chain tensioner roller and housing. Raised the fenders up for safety so it clears my wheel. (was riding really low before) the engine is running better and better everytime. It's only been a few days so I hope it'll still get a little bit faster which I'm sure is normal for break in periods. Did the fuel lines......three times. I guess like everything else on this bike. But it was fun and it actually works so I'm stoked.

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Cool bike, you need to have the tank painted to match the color of the bike. I see both brown and tan. Two tone like a classic harley.

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
Thanks a lot guys. I had to tinker with it like everything else....multiple times. What saved the day were these "hose clamps" from ace hardware Hawaii. The filter and line is from Napa auto parts. It works really food and the glass chamber ia always completely full. I actually run my carb fuel lever at not fully open cause the flow is so good. Here's the most recent photo.

so I was ready to go last night after thinking I fixed every last thing but gas started leaking heavily out of th air filter area. Any ideas? I'm so bummed. Been working hard and it seems lime there's always something next. Thanks for everything.

phenolholic

May 18, 2010
miami
i have this bike and i'm installing a kit on it as well. how did you get around the back coaster brake? i didnt know it was a coaster brake so i removed it. turns out i messed up the bushing/ball bearing in the hub of the bike and the tires wouldnt turn. i called huffy and they're sending me a new back tire but told me not to tinker with that bracket because its a coaster brake. how do you get the back tire gear on the inside of the coaster brake?

Mo'Beffah

Mar 17, 2010
Hawaii
I'm a little confused. Do u mean how do u get the sprocket on the inside of the coaster brake? Get back to me and I'll gladly help. My guess is you mean the sprocket as this bike didn't have gears. First off, if u haven't put the kit on this bike and if ur not completely strapped for cash I would buy a diff bike off craigslist. It was a good test run getting an engine to work and mounting it but the quality of huffy isn't the best. Everything from welds to hardware. OH! and you need to replace your whole tire at the least. Not just the inside tube but outside as well. Mine exploded a hole in the outside tire as well. that was going 35 and I slimed the tire. Scary! (I know it sucks but I would avoid this walmart bike at all cost.)That aside, the sprocket that comes with the kit is about a millimeter or two too small to go over that hub. What you do is unscrew the brake arm where it connects to the bike. There's an outside bolt holding this arm on. U take that off, take the arm off, and then take JUST the dust cap off. Little thin metal cap. That's all u take off. The sprocket will look like it wants to fit but you have to get a machinist in your area to lathe out the middle. Take your back tire and sprocket ino the shop cause they measure to the .001. This wasn't cheap as it turned out to be like 28 bucks. Ps. I have the sprocket on this wheel and when I switched my kit onto my electra I had to keep this wheel. Even with the new tires the only thing that scares me on my bike are these wheels. So much so I'm gonna order that HD wheel from like spookytooth oR something. Its 12 spokes with a 44 tooth already machined on there not just bolted on. Also it comes with a hub brake that has a handle pull. WAY safer. It's 120$ but if you are saving 30 to not machine your own and you get quality and brake I woulda got it first. Hope this all helps cause your me six months ago. And I bet all these masters on here would say the same. Do it right the first time. Afar always. I have a couple more posts on this bike and my the one I switched the kit onto if you just search my member name.

Last edited:

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
If you are looking for a really decent pair of Heavy Duty wheels check these ones out... I was going to order them for my B day this month but I got a netbook instead... my primary laptop is a 19" and weights 11lbs... hard to take places haha. Anyways these are double wall weinmann wheels with 12g stainless steel spokes. For the pair on Amazon it is about 70$ plus 20$ or so shipping (sometimes amazon offers free shipping I'd look into it). Anyways I hope this helps you along the way. Love the build by the way I use the same fuel filter, 1500 miles later I have yet to change the filter cartridge.

Ps. make sure you read the reviews, these rims are wide, they make 2.25 tires look low profile but they work great with cruiser tires I've been told.

Rear wheel
Amazon.com: Weinmann DH-39 Alloy HD Rear Wheel Coaster Brake 26" /…

Front wheel
Amazon.com: Weinmann DH-39 36H Alloy 3/8 Nutted 26 x 2.35 Black/Black Wheel Front: Sports & Outdoors

Heres a pic of the wheels

Cutaway of rim

Last edited:

omegaunderground

Sep 16, 2009
modesto
Phenoholic on my bike to clear the coaster arm here is what I did... I bought some counter sunk allen bolts (pictured below) and counter sunk drilled my sprocket holes. So basically I had holes that tapered inwards to make these bolts flush with the sprocket. That still was not enough to clear the coaster brake arm, so I used a very thin piece of sheet metal to make a shim to put under the coaster brake arm before it bolts on. Risky I know but I have probably 1800 miles on my bike and the back wheel has never given me any problems, miss a few broken spokes I replaced. Also pirate cycles has pre bent coaster arms to clear the bolts easier, they also see manic mechanics sprocket adapter and sprocket as well, link to pre bent coaster arm below.

Pre Bent Laser Cut Brake arm w Radius

here is an example of a counter sunk bit and bolt