Starting Methods

GoldenMotor.com

twowheeledfox

Oct 21, 2009
Houston TX
I'm looking for ways of starting my jackshaft/lights equipped 66cc other than bump starting. I don't like to bump it and only do so in an emergency, and it's a PITA for tuning and maintenace. Bumping is OFF the table (only because it has been discussed endlessly before).

Pullstart might work if it's reliable, but I would really like a kickstart or something like it. Never have been comfortable starting a bike (homebuilt moped or otherwise) with a bump, coil or button.

This obviously would require some fabbing to make one, but is there another way to kick these engines over? Does anyone sell or have the capability of making one? I wouldn't mind if it required me to take a part off after starting (like the old hand-starters) as I have a large toolkit on the bars already and it wouldn't be much to carry something else in it. Any ideas would be welcome (except "don't do it" of course) including a decent pullstarter.

HseLoMein

Oct 30, 2008
Boston, MA
if you have a shifter kit, pick the back of the bike up and use the pedals as a kick starter. I have had a pull starter, it worked for like 10 pulls, then it jammed the engine, i had to remove it to get the engine to work again. I dont thin it would advantageous to install or produce a kick starter, from my very limited knowledge of kick starters that do the same thing as bump starting except its saves the clutch.

Some users have taken a socket and a drill and use it on the magneto nut. i dont think its worth it, bump starting is fine for all the tuning i need to do.

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii
I had a center mount double kickstand that made it it easy to start the bike while on the stand....but I got one that was tube steel....it bent then eventualy broke.....I'd get a cast one ....spooky tooth looks like they have a good one
Kickstands I'm gonna try that one next.....they also have yhe old style back axel stand if you have a 26" bike....both should work.......J

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
I had a center mount double kickstand that made it it easy to start the bike while on the stand....but I got one that was tube steel....it bent then eventualy broke.....I'd get a cast one ....spooky tooth looks like they have a good one
Kickstands I'm gonna try that one next.....they also have yhe old style back axel stand if you have a 26" bike....both should work.......J
Here's another double kickstand cheap yet good quality Meijer: M-Wave Steel Double Leg Bike Side Stand

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
A kick starter has to take a lot of stress, it seems to me that it might tend to shift the engine on its mounts a bit. It would add a good bit of weight since one has to be robust to take the hit when the kick lever hits the end of its travel and not snap or bend. I can't see any problem with the normal starting procedure of dropping the clutch, there's very little stress on the engine and what is there is on components that are designed to take it.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
I still love my pullstart,it broke once and after i fixed it ,it never broke again.
Starts on first pull everytime, or i can peddal start it in 5 feet.I love these engines.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I still love my pullstart,it broke once and after i fixed it ,it never broke again.
Starts on first pull everytime, or i can peddal start it in 5 feet.I love these engines.
I like the pull start motors, too. I've had good luck with the ones which came that way and no luck at all with an add on pull start... major hassle that eventually jammed the engine and broke, so I removed it and left that engine a bump start. But I like the motors that come with one. I have one with a manual clutch and two with centrifugal clutches. Usually one pull starts them and the choke lever gets returned to regular position before I ever get on the bike... no reaching down and searching for the choke lever while riding. I like that. If I had a shift kit, for sure I'd have a pull start motor.
SB

exavid

Dec 12, 2009
Medford, OR
Reaching down for the choke is something I've been meaning to do to my MB. It shouldn't be at all difficult to connect a cable to the choke lever and have a pull knob just ahead of the seat on the top bar to operate the choke. Not really needed but convenient. Gotta do that once I get through tiling the dining room floor.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Reaching down for the choke is something I've been meaning to do to my MB. It shouldn't be at all difficult to connect a cable to the choke lever and have a pull knob just ahead of the seat on the top bar to operate the choke. Not really needed but convenient. Gotta do that once I get through tiling the dining room floor.
When you do that post a thread and share it with photos so that others can see one way to do it. I think that reaching down to fiddle with the lever while riding is kind of a hassle and a distraction, especially if you shift your eyes and attention from the road to the engine. it doesn't take long for an accident to happen and even at low speed the ground sure does hurt. You might be saving somebody from a nasty spill.
SB